Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've removed the diff from by 91 spider and have removed the tubes, this is what the manual calls them, and the half shafts in order to replace the outer and inner bearings. Outer bearing on passenger side was rough, i.e. not as smooth as the new bearing, when you turned it so it was time. And while I have the diff out I'll be replacing the inner bearings as well along with the pinion seal.

Anyway, my question is when I reassemble the tubes to the differential case, are you guys using some sort of liquid gasket or just bolting it on like it was originally? Basically trying to preempt leaks as a result of disassembly and re-assembly at the tube - casing joint.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
when I reassemble the tubes to the differential case, are you guys using some sort of liquid gasket or just bolting it on like it was originally?
You definitely want to use some sort of a sealant upon reassembly. I use Permatex Ultra Grey, but others will suggest different alternatives.

Whatever you use, the key is to apply a thin layer. You don't want so thick a layer of goop that it changes the bearing clearance. The factory no doubt used something, but applied it thinly enough that it appears to have been assembled dry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts