Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, here I am again. Another "adventure"

I am replacing the front crankshaft seal as it's leaking.

I have everything off (there's a lot to get to this point) and am at the nut removal.

But it just won't come off.

Picture below is what I am looking at. I don't see a tab that is mentioned in a lot of the threads.

An impact wrench won't fit in there because of the AC condensor being in the way. Can't, dont want to remove that, as I would lose all the AC gas.

I have used the breaker bar on the ground and turned engine over (ignition coil removed), thanks Papajam, but no luck.

Have liquid wrench on there as well.

What am I missing?

Vin IMG_6078.jpg

·
Administrator
16,563 Posts
Can you leave the A/C condenser hoses attached but undo the mounting bolts and move it aside enough to get the impact wrench on the nut?

Or, use leverage - long breaker bar with parking brake applied, wheels chocked, transmission in 4th gear. (CCW to loosen...)

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or, use leverage - long breaker bar with parking brake applied, wheels chocked, transmission in 4th gear. (CCW to loosen...)
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the note.

I don't think I can move the AC without losing the gas.

I'm not 100% clear on CCW to loosen.

At this point I have tried to use the breaker bar and turned the engine over, if only slightly because it won't turn anymore and actually lifts the engine up a bit.

So you don't see the "tab" I'm supposed to bend back either?

Thanks again,

Vin

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You have 2 choices with heat. Heat the nut to try to expand it or loosen any corrosion OR heat the end of the crank and hope that it grows a bit in length and releives the pressure on the nut.

Most definitley, CCW to loosen. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the neighbour with air tools came home and offered to help me out.

We put an impact gun to work and nothing!

That's enough for me today. Pushed her in the garage for the night.

I appreciate all the replies and help.

I just can't believe its this tough to get off. Has to be something else.

By the way, not to embarass myself, but what is "CCW"?

Thanks again,

Vin

·
Administrator
16,563 Posts
CCW = Counter Clock Wise (lefty loosey).

I know a friend - yeah, that's it, a 'friend' who kept trying harder & harder to remove a nut or bolt in a difficult to access location. Try as I might, I mean, as my friend tried, I, I mean my friend, couldn't get the darn thing loose. Finally he, I mean I said, "hey dummy, are you trying to turn in the right direction - CCW?"

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm not super familiar with the alfa engine, but it's better to lock the flywheel than depend on the trand and all of the other parts to the rear wheels to hold the engine from turning. Does the Spider have a way to lcok the flywheel?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,357 Posts
I just can't believe its this tough to get off. Has to be something else.
OK, here's what's probably going on:

The lock tabs for the nut are NLA so the last time this was off someone probably just used "red" Loctite on the nut instead. This type of Loctite will just not release until heated above 400 deg. F.

So, at this point I would heat the nut with a torch, then try again with your impact wrench. Also, FYI, all impact wrenches are not created equal and it's not uncommon to need one of the heavier duty ones to loosen this nut.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here's what's probably going on:

The lock tabs for the nut are NLA so the last time this was off someone probably just used "red" Loctite on the nut instead. This type of Loctite will just not release until heated above 400 deg. F.

So, at this point I would heat the nut with a torch, then try again with your impact wrench. Also, FYI, all impact wrenches are not created equal and it's not uncommon to need one of the heavier duty ones to loosen this nut.
Joe,

Thanks for confirming that the lock tab is gone! I looked at the nut for a long time today trying to find it.

I think your right, that the last person used the RED locktite.

I am going to tow her on a flatbed to my local mechanic who can heat the nut up properly and has good tools.

Hopefully won't be an hour of his time.

Once off, and since there is no lock tab, how about using the Blue loctite?

Thanks everyone.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I know a friend - yeah, that's it, a 'friend' who kept trying harder & harder to remove a nut or bolt in a difficult to access location. Try as I might, I mean, as my friend tried, I, I mean my friend, couldn't get the darn thing loose. Finally he, I mean I said, "hey dummy, are you trying to turn in the right direction - CCW?"
I thought about that soooooo many times today.

So, to confirm my insanity, I mean sanity, this is what I did.

When trying to take the nut off by hand, I put the socket on, attached the breaker bar standing it straight up. Went to the passenger side and pulled toward me, trying to turn the nut CCW.

When trying to take the nut off, using the starter motor trick, I put the socket on, attached the breaker bar leaning it on the ground on the driver side, so that when the engined turned over, the nut would turn CCW.

Thanks for the reminder, it never hurts.

I am bringing her into the shop for a proper heating of the boutana nut and proper tools.

Blue loctite ok on the re-assemble?

Thanks again.

Vin

·
Registered
521 Posts

Keep looking at my digital watch trying to figure out CCW.;)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yes and no, I've got one of those filter screens that you clip to the front of it that gives the top 1/3 of the screen a blue tint, the bottom 1/3 green tint and the middle stays clear.

Great for golf and other outdoor programming, not so much for the rest though....

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had the car towed to my local mechanic (works on daily drivers) to help me out.

Firstly, we figured out that the 12 point 38mm socket I was using was not a perfect fit.

For future users, its 36mm.

Next, we had to move the AC condensor out of the way so that he could put an impact wrench on. This took the both of us as we didnt disconect the AC hoses on the passenger side, but took the 6 nuts (2 on top, 2 on each side) that held the condensor and I held it out of the way while he used the impact wrench.

We heated up the nut then used the impact wrench and after about 15 to 20 seconds of constant force, the nut came off!

There was no loctite used so it was just ubelieveably tight.

Seal was hard and leaking so it was a good idea to change it out.

Thanks to everyone for their help in guiding me through yet another Alfa adventure!

Vin

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
just think anti clockwise same a CCW

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Vin,
just a quick request. I'm going to install an A/C on mys4 so I need to intall a different pulley that allow to drive the compressor.. While reading to your thread I happen to know from your writing you removed the A/C condenser... Here is the question: whre is located the condenser in your car? It is not in front of the radiator? do you mind to send me a picture of your engine bay in particular on the crankshaft pulley and A/C compressor pulley and one showing how is attached the dryer.
I'll appreciate your help for better understand how is the configuration of this item
Regards

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A flywheel lock and a long breaker bar, are almost essential for this. I made one for my 74, but I understand that the volkswagen one will work fine. Available at lots of parts houses and websites.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts