Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dont have my car on me so i cant test it but can you use your cigarette lighter when the car is off?

i want to buy a battery charger maintainer by porsche that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter but the lighter needs to be working for me to use it when the car is off.

i know i can use a battery tender with the alligator clamps but this seems like a more convenient solution.

my friend uses this on his 911 and it works great.

thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
On the S3's the key has to be on for the lighter to work, presumably the S4's would be the same.

However, you could pick up one of those 'power ports' (you know, lighter sockets) at one of the local parts stores and wire it in somewhere convenient in the trunk or mabe the cargo panel (I'm not big on backfeeding a whole harness if it's not neccisary) to use such a tender.

·
Registered
520 Posts
welcome to the BB

your owners manual states emphatically NOT to use battery maintainers. especially through the system.

to maintain the battery, pull it from the machine and store/tricklecharge it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,061 Posts
I can't imagine why the manual would say that - there's nothing in the Spider electrical system that's any different from any other car. As long as you use a modern, microprocessor controlled float maintainer it should be no problem. I've charged the battery in-situ in my Spider more times than I care to think about and have never had any issues.

The S4 lighter socket does not work with the car off, though, and even if it did I would not charge the car that way.

All that being said, I've left the car sitting for 3-4 weeks a few times and it's always started right up so I can't really see the need for regular use of a battery maintainer. You should be driving it around at least that often (and hopefully much more) in order to keep the rest of the car healthy, let alone the battery.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
i dont have my car on me so i cant test it but can you use your cigarette lighter when the car is off?

i want to buy a battery charger maintainer by porche that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter but the lighter needs to be working for me to use it when the car is off.

i know i can use a battery tender with the alligator clamps but this seems like a more convenient solution.

my friend uses this on his 911 and it works great.

thanks.
The cigarette lighter does not get any power when the car is off.

You may want to try a battery disconnect. It works really well in my Spiders, and I don't ever have to re-charge batteries, even when the cars sit through the winter. There are of course several designs, but I have bought several from this outfit, and they install very nicely in the trunk mounted battery. Click here for the ebay link.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
welcome to the BB

your owners manual states emphatically NOT to use battery maintainers. especially through the system.

to maintain the battery, pull it from the machine and store/tricklecharge it.
This is dated, or more appropriately "out-dated", information. When the manual was written, we did not have the commonly available trickle chargers that we have today. The chargers back then were meant to provide a continuous charge to re-charge a drained battery, which is not what you would apply to maintain a charged battery in a car.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
On the S3's the key has to be on for the lighter to work, presumably the S4's would be the same.

However, you could pick up one of those 'power ports' (you know, lighter sockets) at one of the local parts stores and wire it in somewhere convenient in the trunk or mabe the cargo panel (I'm not big on backfeeding a whole harness if it's not neccisary) to use such a tender.
Hi Darren,

I got a race cam for my Spider but it takes a 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter to work and my lighter does not work (yes I tried with the car on):eek:

I haven't check the wiring chart yet maybe it's just is a blow fuse but on those power ports would it work to connect it direct to the battery? Just thinking ahead in case I can't find the problem with the lighter, I don't have much time to trouble shoot the thing before the convention?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Never mind the fuse was bad so I got power but I don't think the race cam adapter will stay plug in on the track with the stock lighter outlet. I'll have to get a something else that will hold it in better?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The lighter socket might be tight enough, particularly as it's almost up and down as opposed to sideways as found in 'other' cars, and yes you could adapt an aux port directly to the battery if you felt neccisary.

There are some slightly heavier duty connectors that could be installed (weatherpack seals, latches and everything) on the battery or in the harness available at most of the better equipped parts stores.

Just a matter of how/where you want to tap things in. :shrug:

You could even go so far as to connect the cam thingy (it operates your VVTs, right?) directly to the battery with fuse on the + side and a remote toggle switch to turn it on/off at you whim.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I don't think the race cam adapter will stay plug in on the track with the stock lighter outlet. I'll have to get a something else that will hold it in better?
Try a 'BMW' (motorcycle) style power outlet. Here's one source: Powerlet Products

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Recently purchased a "Battery Tender" that came with a permanent lug connector that goes directly to the positive and negative battery posts. Tucks away neatly in the trunk when not in use and the hook up is as easy as opening the trunk and plugging in the connector, even has a dust cover that protects the contacts when not in use.
No need to worry about bad wiring, corrosion, and voltage drops at the cigerette lighter.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I found one that I think will work the plug in is small, fits tight and has a nice extension cord with the adapter. I found it at an NAPPA Auto Parts store.

Man this will be down to the wire on getting everything delievered in time and installed for the convention. Anyone know how the tech inspector feels about mouting the equipment in the cabin? The cam is the size of a large pen and will mount to the roll bar but I have to mount the DVD camcoeder somewhere for it to connect too? Should have enough cable to mount it in the trunk but that's a little unhandy to turn it on and off?

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
I attached my Battery Tender the same way aldo did. Just need to leave the trunk "cracked" to run the connection wire. Easy on, easy off. Works for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I usually use a Tender, but now with 2 bikes I use a disconnect, battery stays in the car. I just started my '90 Quad this morning after a winter break--connected the Diehard, turned the key, vroooom. Knock-on-wood all my Italians are running great today!

Frank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts