Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my power antenna has stopped working after a long layoff. I've perused the many antenna posts and found I did have power on the red wire and on the blue signal wire along with a good ground so I figure the motor is dead. It doesn't even make noise. I need to remove it so I can open it up, diagnose the problem and most likely end up replacing it but I can't quite see how it comes out. Is it the notched ring just above the fender and if so how do you turn it without marring it?

Any new options for a motorized replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
my power antenna has stopped working after a long layoff. I've perused the many antenna posts and found I did have power on the red wire and on the blue signal wire along with a good ground so I figure the motor is dead. It doesn't even make noise. I need to remove it so I can open it up, diagnose the problem and most likely end up replacing it but I can't quite see how it comes out. Is it the notched ring just above the fender and if so how do you turn it without marring it?

Any new options for a motorized replacement?
It is the notched ring. A special tool or you could try channel locks with a cloth under them. Once you get it loose, it will turn easily by hand. Or it should

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I think someone found one in this string. Maybe it was me

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
just happened to mine.
I took mine out in a few minutes
just a normal open wrench for the top ring nut - the ring should have 2 flats - and then 2 phillips screws inside where it mounts on the fender. The ariel connection is fixed to the antenna, so you need to follow the cable to behind that rear flap in the trunk and pull it apart there (antenna connection is taped to the shelf)

I too have power and ground at the plug in the trunk.
When I opened the antenna case I unplugged the motor and that worked just fine with direct power, so in my case it must be the little relay inside the antenna or the small printed circuit which controls up/down.

I couldn't repair it so will send it off to a friend of mine who thinks he can.

there are several types of S4 antenna.
I have this type with the red alfa sticker....when I undid it the whole thing untwirled like an angry snake and as I had to put it back together to post off it was a real pita to get the cable all twirled back in the housing with the antenna down and close up the case. I must have tried umpteen times till I finally got it.
(with the antenna extended it is much easier, but I can's send an extended antenna in the post;)!)
antenna alfa.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
FYI, I tried one off of ebay here in the USA that was supposed to fit an Alfa but it does not. Too long.🙁

·
Registered
139 Posts
just happened to mine.
I took mine out in a few minutes
just a normal open wrench for the top ring nut - the ring should have 2 flats - and then 2 phillips screws inside where it mounts on the fender. The ariel connection is fixed to the antenna, so you need to follow the cable to behind that rear flap in the trunk and pull it apart there (antenna connection is taped to the shelf)

I too have power and ground at the plug in the trunk.
When I opened the antenna case I unplugged the motor and that worked just fine with direct power, so in my case it must be the little relay inside the antenna or the small printed circuit which controls up/down.

I couldn't repair it so will send it off to a friend of mine who thinks he can.

there are several types of S4 antenna.
I have this type with the red alfa sticker....when I undid it the whole thing untwirled like an angry snake and as I had to put it back together to post off it was a real pita to get the cable all twirled back in the housing with the antenna down and close up the case. I must have tried umpteen times till I finally got it.
(with the antenna extended it is much easier, but I can's send an extended antenna in the post;)!)
View attachment 1665063
Simple trick take the unit apart, turn the rotary switch fully clock wise to close the contact. Reassemble the unit with the antenna fully extended. Connect the power socket & run a wire between the aeriel shaft and the negative terminal on the battery. If everything is in working order and the radio circuit is all ok then ..... turn radio on (nothing will happen) the turn the radio off and the antenna will retract and self adjust. Then re-fit the unit to the car.

Simples.

P

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I have voltage on the red power and the blue signal wires but no noise at all from the antenna motor. Its probably dead but either way it has to be removed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I have voltage on the red power and the blue signal wires but no noise at all from the antenna motor. Its probably dead but either way it has to be removed.
Yep if you apply power and the motor does not sound then it is dead ... have a look at the bushes that can be removed. They may be worn out. If so its an easy fix with a replacement. you just have to solder on the braided copper wires to the contacts for the motor.

P

Attachments

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
motor is probably ok as it is rare they just die on you suddenly....I bet it is the relay or small circuit board inside that is the problem.
antenne1.jpg

I'll report back when my friend diagnoses (and hopefully fixes) the problem with mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts