Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

What a gorgeous evening in August!

Last night, I took my 1992 S4 for a quick drive - just for the heck of it.
When I took off, everything was okay, but just before getting on the freeway, the tach stopped. I jumped on the freeway and I noticed that the stereo wasn't working. The speedo was, so no big deal. I went through the tunnel and I noticed that the speedo stopped working! I drove a few miles and when I got off the freeway, I noticed that the tach started working again, but still no speedo.

Something similar happened before and the fix was easy - the 10A radio fuse was blown. I just checked and sure enough the 10A fuse was blown again. The radio is an aftermarket Sony or Kenwood CD (modern style) and it runs the power antenna. As far as I can tell, it's installed properly - the time holds, the current station turns on when the car re-starts and the stations in memory remain there. I'm wondering if the power antenna could be drawing too much power, so the fuse blows). I'm hoping this is the case. If not, it's a shorting wire (something I can fix, but have to spend time), a bad stereo (I don't think that's it) or the instrument cluster is using too much power - too much current.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and what was the cause/repair.

Thanks in advance.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Check your cigarette lighter. I believe the stereo pulls power from the cigarette lighter +12 line. It's not uncommon for the terminals in the lighter to get bent (from plug in adapters, usually) and short.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be it. The plastic that holds the ash tray in (console plastic) is broken and the ash tray sits on top of some wires. The lighter is right there!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your electric antenna could be starting to bind from being old and pulling to much juice and combined with everything else on that fuse is blowing it. Maybe disconnect the antenna electrical plug in the trunk and see if it persists and if not you have your cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts