Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I have a lot of time on my hands suddenly, so it's time to work on the Spider. On my '84, the under hood light has a self-tapping screw on one side and a plastic fastener plug on the other side holding it in place. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is it supposed to have a screw on both sides? A plastic fastener on both sides?

Thanks in advance,

David

HOOD_LIGHT_IMG_7339_SM.jpg
HOOD_LIGHT_IMG_7340_SM.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
That doesn't look like an OEM part.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based upon several other non-OEM items I have discovered on this car, I am not surprised... is it supposed to look something like this?

Or, something like this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The ones you linked to at Centerline and Mr Fiat are original, or at least original style. My S4 has the white plastic one. It takes a bulb that looks like a fuse.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The white plastic one is the correct engine compartment unit. The other one pictured is the trunk light. I bet if you remove the unit you have you'll find a hole under the center of it that the correct part screws to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the light fitting on my 1986 Serie 3 a little while ago. Here you can see the old and the new. The old was damaged. The new is an original Alfa Romeo part.

Jeroen
Thank you for the very clear photos. Follow up question: does anyone know about a source for replacement bulbs?

These are on Amazon for $127/10 pack: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-7546-Light/dp/B07957V7ZQ

Would the bulb below work as a replacement? $5.35/2 bulbs is a bit more in my budget...

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Thank you for the very clear photos. Follow up question: does anyone know about a source for replacement bulbs?

These are on Amazon for $127/10 pack: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-7546-Light/dp/B07957V7ZQ

Would the bulb below work as a replacement? $5.35/2 bulbs is a bit more in my budget...

[/URL]

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
$127 forba ten pack seems a bit silly. These are available at parts stores either singly or in two packs. Guaranteed if you buy 10 you wont be able to find them the next time you need one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I second that - $127 is extortion. There's nothing special about these bulbs, you can get them at any auto parts store. I keep a couple extras in my glove box.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the fast replies. I'll check out AutoZone and Advanced. For a while, I thought these bulbs were built out of unobtanium!

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
very common bulbs
you have them under the hood light, the glove box light and the trunk light.
A pack of 2 for 5 bucks or so at any store.
I think I have replaced one in 10 years!

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
36 Posts
$127 forba ten pack seems a bit silly. These are available at parts stores either singly or in two packs. Guaranteed if you buy 10 you wont be able to find them the next time you need one.
Apparently Murphy practices law in your garage/shop as well as mine. <grin>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts