Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
That's what I use for both the rubber pivots on the firewall and the throttle rod sockets.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now would be as good a time as any to discuss the merits of Bianchi's fix!!!!!
It took me almost 2 hrs, 1 cut knuckle and 1 projectile spring and a bunch of disconnected and moved wires to finally get the rod out of the car. To be honest, I don't remember one easy part, and I already dread trying to reinstall the passenger side firewall bushing bolts!!!
There was a recent post about Italians having small hands... nope, just tiny Elves that crawl into nearly inaccessible areas. Mannaggia Giuseppe!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Rub it in Bianchi!!!!

While I wind it down for the night, I start to think of other recent jobs that had I done this at the same time, it may have been easier, like....
a week ago when I swapped the exhaust manifold and downpipes - more room.
or last year when I pulled the gearbox - more room.

Somebody needs to start a kick a$$ thread called... while you're in there, you may want to consider doing......

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Putting it all back together went easier than I thought.
Just wish I remembered to grease the firewall bushings first.
Ended up loosening the clamps a bit and spray lubed the heck out of them. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Well done! I was a bit concerned you'd be gunning for me after I said it was easy :scared:
Then I remembered you're a long way away:cool:

I hope it was worth it for you, I really noticed a difference when I did mine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I found that particular bushing on the Alfaholics webpage, but I seem to only find the firewall bushes on the usual websites (which I'm replacing anyways) on this side of the pond.
Anyone know who carries it in the US?

- Also, I've searched and seen some details and threads about being particular in setting/adjusting the throttle linkage back up once you rebuild it.
Is there any particular link that provides the step by step guidance for doing this? I've gone this far and no point in cutting corners now...

Thanks,
Les

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just finished the RNR of the throttle arm on my 84 Spider...
Replaced the support bushings on the firewall and put in the new throttle linkage bushing.
I did remember to use the lithium grease while re-installing everything and did find the ground for the washer fluid pump was on one of the bolts on the passenger side firewall bracket.
This is one project I don't want to tackle again anytime soon.
I had my cam cover off last month for powder coating and that would have been the money time to do this task

I've seen a few short posts about the correct adjustment of the throttle rods and peddle, but just a few lines.
Is it just screw the peddle stop all the way down and from there adjust the rods to make sure the butterfly fully opens and closes?
Currently my knee was almost past the steering wheel and it was so uncomfortable.
Any tried and true procedure would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Les

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,858 Posts
Any tried and true procedure would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah: the procedure is fark with it until it works :D

Pedal stop is usually the last thing you adjust. This is from memory, but start with the short rod closest to the throttle. Adjust the length so that the crank arm under the throttle is about horizontal-ish in the middle of the throttle travel.

Then install the long rod underneath. This has an adjuster in the middle so it can be adjusted in-situ. The bushing in the crank arm across the firewall should be about half an inch to an inch or so off the firewall. You can adjust the length here to set the resting throttle height.

Finally, adjust the throttle stop so that the throttle is full open just as the pedal hits the stop. You don't want too much extra travel in the pedal or that puts strain on the linkage. Depending on where the stop ends up, you may need to do a bit more messing with the adjuster in the long rod if the stop is too high or too low.

Again, this is all from memory, but I think that's pretty much what I did last time.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
21 - 32 of 32 Posts