Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen threads on the method of disconnecting the rod and swivelling it up to change it, as well as Bianchi's fix. But wondering if anybody has figured out a way of changing it from underneath (in place). If so, how did you do it, what tools?

From under the car, it's almost right there (maybe 6" up).

This is the bushing. (pic borrowed from another thread).

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
i did, use a couple thin fender washers and a small spacer inbetween the washers.if you take off the outter intake manifold, and you can do it from the top.i posted this a year or so ago.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It really isn't too difficult to take the whole piece out entirely from the top. In fact it was one of the easier jobs I have done on the car. Its a lot easier to change the bush when you can hold things in the vice, than it would be on your back under the car.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. I just hate the idea of having to distrurb any of the old and likely brittle wiring in that area to make space. Reason... last year my car woke from its winter nap with a long and hard to diagnose partial internal fracture of a wire under the parcel tray, and I hadn't been in there in a couple of years and no rodents! Maybe I need to be less paranoid.

If I understand your thread correctly:

Disconnect accelator pedal
Pop the forward running linkage off the ball of the bushings nipple
Disconnect the spring
Disconnect the passenger side firewall bushing
Disconnect the driver side firewall bushing/grommet
Tilt the passenger side of the throttle rod up towards the booster, then pull it towards the front of the car to remove it. Watch for any wires/hoses that may be in the way.
Change the bushing and reinstall in reverse sequence.

Did I miss anything.

Sounds easier than I think it will be.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've just taken my first actual look at it from the top, and it doesn't look that bad, but the wiggling it up will probably be a pain. I have a question. Why is there this funky arm with a hole in it that nothing attaches to it. When the rod is bolted to the firewall, this arm sits forward and comes to within 3/16" of my newly installed S4 exhaust manifold. Is there any reason why I can't bend it or even cut it off? (pic from your thread Anglo).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
that ' funky arm' is left over from spica..i guess that got a good deal on they.. hey antonio.. we can sell you, 500,000 of the for a very low price.. alfa romeo... sign me up...:):):)

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, that was an interesting read/debate.

If it could in fact be used as a mechanical version of modern days cruise control (touch the brake and it turns off), I'd definitely leave the arm alone for future use!!!

I've only owned one or two cars with a manual choke (no hand throttle) and remember if the choke wasn't pushed in when the car warmed up, it would die at idle. I guess this is where the hand throttle would help.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi Mike,
Yes, the steps you have outlined are correct. On mine I also had to undo the ground leads on the top of the cylinder head (undoing these and giving them a clean up is no bad thing anyway) and move the radiator header tank which sits in the corner of the engine bay to get clearance to swing the arm upwards. I don't know if the S3 has the header tank in the same place?

Also, although I did take the accelerator pedal off I think there is probably room to pull the shaft through the hole with it still attached when the grommet has been detached.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've just taken my first actual look at it from the top, and it doesn't look that bad, but the wiggling it up will probably be a pain. I have a question. Why is there this funky arm with a hole in it that nothing attaches to it. When the rod is bolted to the firewall, this arm sits forward and comes to within 3/16" of my newly installed S4 exhaust manifold. Is there any reason why I can't bend it or even cut it off? (pic from your thread Anglo).
I could not get it out from any direction. Not even close or I would have bent it enough to use my press. Others told me it was possible, not on my car. 1984 spider.

Good luck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What is the purpose of that rubber bushing? What would happen if it was replaced with a solid piece?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That bushing is where the solid throttle rod that is bolted to the firewall ends. The pin inside that bushing is where the smaller and lighter adjustment rods going to the throttle housing are joined. All the linkages ends are plastic ball and socket joints that thread on to the rod ends. I figure the rubber in the bushing isolates the shock loading from stomping onto the accelerator pedal, to help prevent the joints from breaking... or something like that.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Not to mention that it isolates engine vibrations from the gas pedal.

Speaking of gas pedals, it needs to be removed (2 flathead screws with nuts) before the linkage will come out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts