Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've have replaced the firewall and throttle linkage bushings and the throttle rods end connectors on my 84 Spider and now I want to adjust the linkage correctly.
I've found some rather loose guidelines as to how to do this and some contradict each other.
So, I am looking for a post/link that's out there that details this exact procedure.
I know there has to be someone on this forum who has this procedure and is willing to share it.....
Thanks,
Les

*** I guess my main question is, when the throttle rod linkage is disconnected and the spring holds the pedal all the way up, is this the correct starting point to adjust the long linkage rod and ensure the peddle stays at that height?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Okay, fine, dude. Just say, "Tom, even though you spent all that time writing out that procedure in the other thread, I'm not going to follow it because I have basic trust issues stemming from an abusive childhood." :D

I guess my main question is, when the throttle rod linkage is disconnected and the spring holds the pedal all the way up, is this the correct starting point to adjust the long linkage rod and ensure the peddle stays at that height?
No, that is not the correct starting point. If you do it that way, the bushing on the right side of the crank arm across the firewall will be resting on the firewall: that is not correct. The resting pedal point should be slightly lower than that and the end of the crank arm should be held off of the firewall by the long rod.

Is there some reason you are trying to get a higher pedal?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to get the pedal higher, I was just looking for a proper starting point to make the adjustment. In fact i want it lower, but one thread said not to shorten the linkage too much as it puts too much strain on the ball connectors. So I'm trying to find a proper starting point and a happy medium on all the adjustable points.
Makes sense that the pedal is not to stay at its highest point so as you mentioned the crank arm does not rest on the fire wall.
I'll search again for 'Tom's procedure' and go from there.
Thanks...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I read another reply to a different thread that said to screw the peddle stop almost to the floor and start my adjustment from there, so it certainly is a different procedure, but incorrect, so I followed yours and it seems to be working fine.
Les

1 - 5 of 5 Posts