Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice from the Alfisti.

I was trying to adjust the placement of my Negative/Ground Bolt in the trunk of my '85 Spider Veloce when the Bolt snapped off flush with the panel. With the angle of the panel, and close quarters (only 3 inches above the bolt) I'm curious how best to proceed. I don't think thin jawed Vise Grips would help as there's no room under the sheet metal. I could try using a punch but I'm concerned that I'll need to bend the ears that mount the battery and even if they dont break off I might slip and drive the punch through the quarter panel. With no space for a drill I think it may be best to just find a new location. There are many threads on Alfisti moving their batteries from the Engine Bay to the Trunk but none mention where to attach their Negative/Ground cable.

IMG_7739.jpg IMG_7748.jpg

If you look at the image in the thumbnail below I've marked in RED the original bolt location, in Yellow two existing holes that may work and in Green an area near the original location that I may be able to drill out (emphasis on maybe, it's still a rather tight space). Another option would be to use shock tower bolts but I don't like that option, and another option would be one of the bolts on the floor above the fuel tank (both require a longer Negative/Ground Cable.

IMG_7741_edit.png IMG_7744.jpg

Curious if I've overlooked something but I'm leaning towards using one of the existing holes (I'd strip the paint and use a few larger washers to spread out the surface area and of course use dielectric grease. I'm also planning to clean up the rust in and around the spare tire well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

C

·
Administrator
17,156 Posts
I think one of the existing holes would be fine. Clean off any paint so the ground cable contacts clean metal. The body is all welded together so such a ground strap should supply a good ground to the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
A decent welder might be able to weld a section of rod to the center of that broken bolt in situ, and then back it out of the hole with a pair of vise grips.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice,

For now, I'm going to connect to one of the existing holes so I can keep driving her. After the crazy virus lockdown I'll give the welded rod option a shot.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
It should work fine. You just need a clean, solid electrical connection to somewhere on the body: it's all ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts