Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just when I thought I had found the problem, the car wouldnt start again this morning. No fuel being pumped again. I have a feeling it might be the pump relay but not sure so ill explain my findings;

I wired up the in tank sender again and the fuse under the parcel shelf doesnt blow.
I have read through this post and this is what I find - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1069165-post5.html
With the relay plugged into the socket, on key turn it does click but no fuel is pumped.
I remove the relay and jump 87 and 30 and the pump runs.
12v doesnt comes out of 87 socket.
12v comes out of socket 30, key on or not.
12v comes out of socket 15 at start.
No reading on socket 50.

Something really isnt making sense...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I think I know what the problem is;

In my post above I believe I made a few errors in saying no readings out of 87 and 50. I tested all this stuff a few times and it was doing my head in. In the end I gave up and packed it in.
I thought id take the relay out and put it in the sun for a bit and see if that made a difference. It started once I put the relay back in. My guess is that there is wear in the relay and as it was quite cold here yesterday the contacts didnt meet so the pump wouldnt work. Ill keep testing but it looks like a replacement relay is in order. Could be worse, could be the computer..

Does anyone know if there is a cheaper relay alternative replacement to the standard Bosh one. I almost fell over when I saw the price of them!

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
in all the posts I have read there are 2 options to the expensive Bosch 0.280.230.001 (0280230001) relay

the KAE 3.304.500, which many say lets the pumps run all the time (not terribly safe) and
the Beck Arnley 203-0100 Relay...(which might just be the KAE in Beck Arnley clothing;))

if it were my car I'd look for a good tested used Bosch!
like this from BB's rogerspeed: ebay # 322510296276

or another a seller we all know up in Canada, ebay #262970230058

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
I've not used one but I have read that the KAE version might allow the fuel pumps to run continuously. This is not as intended and is a safety failure. The Bosch relay will cut power to the pumps if the engine is not running - as in if it stalls or in an accident.

Also, the relay does not power up the fuel pumps with the key on/engine off. The engine has to be running for it to send the tachymetric signal (from the coil) to trigger the relay. There is also a bypass circuit that bypasses the relay when the key is turned to the 'start' position. This ensures the fuel pumps gets power during cranking/before the engine starts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Guys, I have no intention to a cheap and nasty change over. If I cant get something which does what the original Bosh is designed to do, ill just spend the money on the right part. The safety features built in are a good design feature and something I wouldnt want bypassd. Ill check out those Ebay listings and see what options there are.
I wonder if mine could be repaired? Or are they are throw away item?
Id say that as mine works when warmed up, some contacts inside have just worn a little. They will obviously get worse over time though.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I wonder if mine could be repaired? Or are they are throw away item?
Id say that as mine works when warmed up, some contacts inside have just worn a little. They will obviously get worse over time though.
this is the insides of the KAE relay, probably similar to the Bosch.....
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6780409-post25.html
I suppose you could check the points, maybe clean them/file them a bit, and recheck before spending hard earned cash on a new or s/h one.

(and I'm sure we'd like to see the insides of your orig. Bosch relay, just for prosperity's sake:))

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I suppose the 'Beck Arnley 203-0100 Relay' could be an alternative to the Bosh and deliver the same working results as the Bosh at a fraction of the price.
I might pull the Bosh case off and photograph whats inside but only when I get a replacement :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I decided to open the Bosh up. Unfortunately I hat to cut the base off. Ill glue it back together. Looks very different to the KAE in the pictures in the link 2 posts above. Mine looks pretty good inside. I was looking for dry soldier joints but they all look like new. Ill test it in the car again this week and then glue it back together. Ill probably get a replacement soon as this one is clearly playing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Nice, thanks Philip!

wouldn't it be nice if relays had see-through cases......

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am aware of a few reports that the KAE relay doesn't function the same as the Bosch. The primary observation is that the circuit to the pumps is closed whenever the key is on. That has not been my experience. I have had the same KAE relay in the '88 Spider for ten years and 70k miles, functioning exactly as it should. At least one KAE relay works fine. Of course, to remove any doubt, buy the Bosch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A see through case would be quite handy! Im surprised at how much electronics is in there but then again, ive never been inclined to look into a relay before.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi, I received the in tank pump today from Alfaholics, the stepped hose and filter. I also got a bunch of other pipes and stuff in a bag which I dont know what they are for, any ideas? Possibly the worst instructions ive ever seen :)

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
LOL, I Agree. I took my old one out and just followed what it looked like and built it up from there...

It works....

rob s

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The thing is I didnt have one to start with, the previous owner removed it... Im not sure what all the extra pipes and rummer bits are for? I was just going to connect the stepped pipe to the pickup and pump, wire it up and thats it? No idea what all that other stuff is for.

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
Perhaps that kit also fits other cars and it is easier to stock one kit vs multiple specific kits? Many gasket sets are like that - they'll have a few gaskets you don't use that are for other model that use the same engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good point. Ill have a look through the instructions again to see if there is a mention of it. Im pretty sure I just have to connect the sender to the pump with the step hose, wire it up and job done.

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
You want the assembly to look like the photo shown in reply #9. The only part not shown in that photo is the pre-pump screen. The original is sort of kayak shaped and has to be oriented to fit into the recess in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I connected the pump this afternoon and yes, the pump came with a load of spare parts for other cars - the only useful piece of info on the instructions told me that. I had to work out what was positive and neutral myself by testing the pump on a battery, as the instructions have no detailed pictures. The pump is humming away and doing its job now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts