Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the sides and only the sides from the console of my S3 spider. In reading the treads I believe I only need to remove the top and bottom screws and somehow slide out the riveted tongue from the slot it fits in. Is this correct? I've tried this but the side seems pretty fixed in place and I don't want to break a side piece.

Am I on the right track?
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
What year S3 do you have? On my 87, if I recall correctly and bare with me as this is a little tricky to explain....

There is a hidden brace that runs between the two panels. After removing the the lower parts of the dash (knee bolsters), I can reach over or behind the passenger panel and unscrew a fastener to free that panel from the brace. Then there are about two screws by the seats, then one more by the accelerator pedal, then one at the top of the panel behind the little black trim piece. Then the panels can be slide towards the back of the car, to unlatch the tongue from the slot you speak of.

If your S3 is an 85 or older, I don't know how much of this will help you.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
different for Enbloc equipped vehicles?

According to my interpretation of pages 66-16 and 66-16/1 of the Alfa Spider Shop Manual, for vehicles equipped with the large "Enbloc" single-piece knee bolsters, you need to remove the rear console, then the front console, before you can remove the two screws in each of the carpeted side walls and slide them backwards and out.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I think enbloc S3's are 86-90, which my instruction covers.

I can access the two screws in the carpet with the seats pushed all the way back. It might not be a perfectly straight shot, but I can get to them.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I believe about 1/2" of the upper rearward (angled) edge of each side wall panel is trapped under the front console, so even if you remove the screws securing the side panels, you cant slide them back (to release their tabs from the gearbox hump) unless the front console is already out. And of course you can't remove the front console without removing the rear one first.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I believe about 1/2" of the upper rearward (angled) edge of each side wall panel is trapped under the front console, so even if you remove the screws securing the side panels, you cant slide them back (to release their tabs from the gearbox hump) unless the front console is already out. And of course you can't remove the front console without removing the rear one first.
Ah! Yes, that is correct. Now I remember, there is enough flex in the panel that you can simultaneously flex the top down, while sliding the panel forward to get that 1/2" of panel out from under the console, then it can be slide backwards and out.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Ah! Yes, that is correct. Now I remember, there is enough flex in the panel that you can simultaneously flex the top down, while sliding the panel forward to get that 1/2" of panel out from under the console, then it can be slide backwards and out.
Thanks Mike. That's a good tip (since it's quite a PITA to remove both rear and front consoles)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts