Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I picked up a S3 Spider a while back that has had its fair share of abuse. Cheap repaint that is pealing and cracking, not running, drive shaft in the ****pit, disassembled dash...

After a bit of work and some parts replacement we were able to get it running. She is puffing a little bit of water vapor from the exhaust and the fuel system drains down if it is not cranked often.

We were going to put it back on the road for my cousin but he has moved away to law school and so its just sitting around now.

I am wrestling with the law of diminishing returns on making it road going as we already have a very nice S4. The idea of a track day toy has been tickling my brain. Especially since my GTV project is coming out so sharp I am loosing interest in putting on the track. Probably the project would progress from track day toy to a race car eventually. Is there a class that a mid 80's spider can race in? Certainly it would not fall into the vintage series that earlier spiders enjoy?

Thoughts, comments, outrage...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've seen the following car for sale in the Wichita, KS area. Bernie campaigned it for a few years. This ad is clipped from the Alfa Owner - monthly publication of the AROC-USA.

++++++++++++++++++++++

1982 Spider Veloce SCCA ITB Racecar, 2011 Annual Inspection, Charcoal Metallic, Silver Graphics, 12 Campagnolo Wheels, “Beck” Orion Motorsports Suspension, Spares, Canopy, Towing Cover, Trailer with box, tire rack, hitch, Bell Helmet, Suit, $18,000, complete.
$15,000, car only.
Bernie Mermis, (316) 691-8170, [email protected]
Contact me for complete specifications, spares and photos. (KS)
(That's Bernie you contact, not me!!)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I guess I sometimes ramble. Trust me I sound more coherent in my head ;)

Basically I want to go racing and I was looking for the most reasonable way to accomplish this goal.

The options I considered were:
Use my gtv as a track day car.
Build a vintage race car, preferably a gtv.
Build a race car out of one of the s3 spiders that are not doing much.
Build a spec e30 race car.

I prefer to race in an Alfa. I prefer to build something that will be competitive. And I do not have an infinite budget.

After participating in a Chump Car event two weeks ago I have decided to build a Chump/LeMons Car. Unfortunately not an Alfa. Me and a friend will be racing an e30 in the 2012 Chump Series.

Hopefully this was more coherent :D

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Depending on what vintage organizations are close to you, any 105/115 Spider might make a good vintage race car. When stripped of bumpers, dash, fuel injection etc. the S3 spider looks almost identical to any other square tail car. There are a few square tails running in the midwest.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erik, I guess at that point it just comes down to the race organizers and the number of cars running at the event.

I was really impressed with the setup at the Chump Car event. My total outlay for the weekend including tires, gas (to/from/race), food, track time, brakes, and some minor car upgrades was $1k. My on track time, 6hrs racing and about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs of practice. $142 per hour that's not bad. I can't afford that every weekend but I could swing it a couple times a year.

For those of you who race in vintage series, how do these numbers compare? How much track time can you expect on any give race weekend?

And there is the car setup too...GTV for vintage racing $30-40K for a ready to rock car. Our budget for the e30 is $6k this includes everything from the safety gear to the first set of tires and pads.

I am looking at the bang for the buck perspective and its looking hard to beat the Chump Car series.

I just as easily could make a s3 into a chump car.

Miguel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts