Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I'm trying to remove the side mirror frame from my '85 to clean it up. I have removed the painted cover, the mirror itself, and the tilt mechanism. I removed the bolts that hold the black frame to the door skin. What I can't seem to figure out is how to remove the wires so that I can free the mirror frame from the door.

It appears that there is some type of sealant in the pivot shaft. I have scraped some of that out, but is there also a clamp of some type that holds the wires inside the shaft? They aren't budging.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took off the other side mirror, and the wires came out with ease. I went back to digging the crud out of the shaft until eventually I was able to pull one of the wires through. The others followed. I only broke one during the removal, so I soldered and shrink-wrapped it back together.

Turns out the threaded shaft is badly rusted, and it narrowed the diameter so that the wires wouldn't move. I scraped it out a bit, but the rust is severe.

I would like to either replace that threaded shaft or at least clean it up, but I'm concerned that if I take off the nut that holds the spring around the shaft, I won't be able to get the nut back on due to the spring. Has anyone done this? How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts