Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know having trawled the internet that this item is hard to find but would anyone happen to have a coiled map light for an s/3 or s/4 spider?

I would be most grateful if you had one to sell.

Besties P :)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Yeah, these used to burst into flames, apparently. Not sure I'd want to install one.

If you really go this route you should probably ensure you have a post-recall one. I believe the post-recall ones had an additional fuse in the cable to the lamp but don't quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Very difficult to find. The last one I sold on eBay went in minutes for $100+. Yeah I shoulda had it on auction instead of buy it now.
Cheers, jon

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
No, sorry - keeping it along with the other OEM pieces that I do not use.

Try DiFatta Brothers, RML Automotive and Trail Auto.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Yeah, these used to burst into flames, apparently. Not sure I'd want to install one.

If you really go this route you should probably ensure you have a post-recall one. I believe the post-recall ones had an additional fuse in the cable to the lamp but don't quote me on that.
Make sure you have good insurance, fwiw

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had one in my 92 and now in my 93 and have never had a problem. There is an on/off switch on the handle.

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
has your RHD conversion no light at all then?
this is the normal glovebox light, worked fine on thousands of alfas:)
glovebox.jpg

looks a poor design that hand held thing
map light

·
Registered
107 Posts
As mentioned by others these had a habit of catching fire. As far as I know its also the reason that they were not fitted in the right hand drive conversions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one in my car -- and yes, it has an on/off switch, but it is (at best) a terrible quality of construction. While I'll leave it in the car, I suspect I'll pull the bulb and/or disconnect it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I had one in my automatic S4 and it stayed resolutely calm, with no spontaneous combustion while I had the car. I took it out when I sold the car, thinking I would fit it to my Euro spec S4.
When I went to try it, it didn't sit properly. As I recall, the Euro spec inner of the glove box was recessed, making a lip which would have impeded pulling out the map light. I would have had to fit spacers so I didn't bother.

Its now sitting on my desk at home. If anyone wants to make me an offer, I will be pleased to pass it on. It works fine although will need a plug or other connector put on the wires.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Andrew, I have one complete that I'll sell to you. I bought it for $50 a couple of years back, with the idea of installing it in my S4, but I since took another approach. Send me a PM and we'll make a deal. I'll include an LED bulb with it.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I'll include an LED bulb with it.
Can you share that bulb part number?

I would like to change it out as well.

Thanks,

Vin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts