Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1987 s3 spider, can anyone tell which direction to rotate the star wheels to tighten the brake shoes toward the drums?

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
The adjuster (#8) is in two parts. The star wheel section threads into the other section. You then screw it together to make it shorter or unscrew it to make it longer (and bring the shoes closer to the drum).

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Eric, that makes it very clear.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
It's been a while since I did this, and for some reason I'm thinking you turn to the right. I've been meaning to do this on my car, so hearing back from you on which direction would be great.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I just did this a few days ago. I can't remember but I know if you go the wrong way the start wheel will stop but the rotor will still turn. Just go the other way. I turned it quite a bit. I don't think they were every adjusted. It's obvious when you get close. I would turn a few and try to spin. Once it started getting snug I backed off a few clicks.

The hard part was finding the star wheel. I had to get a flashlight and spin the rotor around to know what I was looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this, Eric. When I re-assembed my rear brakes a while back, it had been apart so long that I forgot exactly how it went together...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank everyone...especially Eric for the fine illustrations. Nice to know what to expect before you start! Its like having someone holding my hand!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts