1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'm not the expert here, but what I can tell you is the difference between our LSD and the video is that we only have 1 clutch disk per side and do not have the spring in the middle. Everything else looks the same.

Looking forward to the thread.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Vin!

I'm looking forward to a positive outcome on this project. LSD clunk has been a major bug stain on the windshield of my life for far too long...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,885 Posts
You sure it's the LSD? Every single time someone has had "differential clunk" on here, I think it's turned out to have been something else.

Well, except for one time where it was some broken pinion/ring teeth. But besides that...

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gubi and thanks for your observation.

I agree Differential Clunk (hereafter referred to as DC) is often misdiagnosed and found to be the result of other driveline failures.

As I mentioned earlier, considerable research here, as well as repair/inspection of common trouble areas (too numerous to recount) has led me to conclude LSD issues. Perhaps the most telling test was removal of the drain plug (BTW, I have Redline in the diff) and locking the internals with a screwdriver, while turning the input shaft (behind the universal joint) has convinced me the problem resides within.

With winter finally creeping up on Northern Nevada today, the car will be out of service till conditions improve, so now is the time to attack my long-standing DC headache.

Film at 11. :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,885 Posts
I don’t think that test necessarily tells you anything. There’s a surprising amount of play in the cage and spider gears. But your call.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,885 Posts
...and you didn’t state your problem, but if it’s “clunk or thump on hard takeoff” then you’re very likely chasing the wrong thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts