Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about S3 part costs, so if there's anyone who can give me a rough idea of the value of a S3 Hardtop in Red, I appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking that it'll fit S2's, but not sure about S4's. Anyone know if it will.

Thanks

·
Registered
1978 alfa romeo spider, 1987 alfa romeo spider graduate
12 Posts
As far as price goes it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. It really varies from time to time, but generally depending on condition and shipping/handling expenses you could expect (probably) between $200 to $2500
The top should fit S2 to S4 as thier tops are all similar, but some years did not have the rear hardtop hooks installed from the factory.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as price goes it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. It really varies from time to time, but generally depending on condition and shipping/handling expenses you could expect (probably) between $200 to $2500
The top should fit S2 to S4 as thier tops are all similar, but some years did not have the rear hardtop hooks installed from the factory.
What do the hardtop hooks look like? Are they those short chrome posts with the notch?

·
Registered
1978 alfa romeo spider, 1987 alfa romeo spider graduate
12 Posts
As you can probably see they are not too hard to install just if you don't have them the top is insecure in the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
The hooks are only used on the 86 and later factory hardtop.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't know much about S3 part costs, so if there's anyone who can give me a rough idea of the value of a S3 Hardtop in Red, I appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking that it'll fit S2's, but not sure about S4's. Anyone know if it will.

Thanks
Why do you want a hard top? From my understanding they are no quieter than a soft top. You might gain a little rigidity and shaking?

Ken Smith

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don’t pay attention or get distracted with the $2500 posting, I sold my nice top for $600. Expect from $400-$1000 tops, and that’s really stretching it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, autoworker is probably a dealer, $2500 is way too much... $500-$1,000 is price range dep. on condition. I have hardtop for 84 Spider, it seems just minimally quieter, but I've had "Dynamat" put underneath the ceiling headliner.

·
Registered
Works in Progress
204 Posts
Don’t pay attention or get distracted with the $2500 posting, I sold my nice top for $600. Expect from $400-$1000 tops, and that’s really stretching it.
I would know, i was the recipient. Thanks again Pete.

By the way if ever needed. Im still in the process of finalizing the replacement gaskets for these later hardtops, its been a slow process but forthcoming. Keep it in mind if the top you settle on has the its gaskets compromised.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remembered couple years back someone was trying to get up an order for hardtop gaskets, if still doing so, I’d like one...... thx.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
n/m now I'm doubting myself

·
Registered
311 Posts
They look like this:

Maybe I'm living in the wrong century, but $100 is pretty expensive.
These are two hook bolts with lock nuts available at any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). The hooked ends can be bent to suit the shape needed, and the mid-shaft bend is easier to do than to describe. The thread size would not need to be metric, since the hook goes thru a non-threaded hole, using a nut sized according to the hook. Just choose the length and a diameter that reaches the attachment hole and fits easily within the hole. If you want the deluxe rubberized end, just dip the end into a can of liquid rubber (PlastiDip, for instance)
Am I missing something here? Certainly no one actually buys these official J-hooks, right?

hook bolt.jpg
PlastiDip-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have someone who offered to sell me a hardtop. I don't want to use it for any of my cars, but I'm thinking I can either sell it or use it to trade.

I appreciate the advice on the seals and hold downs. He showed me a curved piece of plastic that he said the top rests on (my guess is over the top when it's down).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts