Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've looked thru the existing threads on gas tank removal for a S3 (1987 spider quad). Sounds a bit tricky.
It's probably leaking at the seal, when I fill it up too high it leaks, otherwise okay.

I'm going to get someone to fix/clean/seal the tank. If the guy says its too hard to fix then I'll get a new one from Centerline - is the one on the website a good fit?

Question is while the tank is out, is there something in the fuel pump that I should replace? The gasket or the filter?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been there. You may just need a new filler hose. Or just to tighten the hose clamps attaching the hose to the tank. Verify where it's leaking before you start replacing parts. Can't vouch for the centerline tank. It is a bit tricky to remove/reinstall. Odd shaped tank into an odd shaped hole in limited space.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, filler hose replaced. Not leaking there, area is completely dry with full tank. Leak drips down onto ground on drivers side near the rear. Was going to check seam with tank out to confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Assuming your car is starting and running good, its safe to assume the fuel pumps are ok, so you're good with the in-tank pump because its easy to change (accessible from the top) anytime it might die. Having said that, I would just change the filter sock on the in-tank pump, the gasket between the sending unit and tank, and may as well change the inline filter under the car. Before putting it all together I would closely inspect the fuel lines back there. The can look good on the outside and be dry rotting on the inside, which over time will break apart and start to plug the filters and kill your in-tank pump.

If you have to buy a new tank, consider Vick Auto.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of the easiest tanks to remove and replace if it is needed. Disconnect the battery to avoid shorts and sparks. It come right out through the trunk after you get the screws out.
If it is stuck, a piece of wood on top of a floor jack will usually unstick it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts