Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some advice on the correct placement of the rubber hanger strap that supports the intermediate silencer on a series 3 Spider with stock exhaust components.

The near-rectangular weldment on the left in the first photo below is the hanger bracket that is mounted on the chassis (sans hanger), and the shiny piece to the right is the bracket on the left front corner of the middle muffler.

Photo #2 shows the rubber hanger mounted on the outer or left side of the chassis bracket.

Photo #3 shows the hanger mounted on the inner side of the chassis bracket.

Which photo (#2 or #3) shows the correct placement of the rubber hanger that is used for securing the intermediate silencer to the chassis?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
photo #3 is correct placement, note the "clamp" washers on the top (and bottom when installed) are aligned incorrectly, they should be horizontal to the vertical hanger
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the guidance.

Hmmm.... I thought I had the rectangular washers placed properly in my previous photos.

Anyway, here's a picture of my old hanger. The plates have been removed from the right side to show the rip/tear in the rubber that wouldn't allow it to hold the muffler up.

I plan to install the rectangular plate washers on both ends of my new hanger (when it arrives) in the same orientation as the ones shown on the left side in this photo. I hope that's the correct orientation....

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is correct, I apparently misinterpreted your photo(s) Use conventional washers as spacers between the muffler and the rectangular washer so the hanger will be perpendicular
Hi Roger,

Gotcha. Thanks again.

Is there a particular order to use in tightening all of the exhaust components?

Should I start at the manifold and work towards the rear, connect everything loosely and then tighten (also from the front working back)?

Or should I make sure the tail pipe is centered in the rear bumper slot and work forward?

Should I just plan on tightening the doughnut bushing (between the rear and middle sections) last?

What method works the best at getting all the pipes and hangers to line up and connect, and still allows the tailpipe to be centered in the rear bumper slot?

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Should I just plan on tightening the doughnut bushing (between the rear and middle sections) last?
that last big donut seal is what I leave to the last, loosly bolt it together......then get the tail pipe section lined up/centred nicely through the rear valance, and then slowly and evenly tighten the 3 bolts on the donut.........always keeping the tailpipe centred (I use my knees, lying on my back! If your car is up on a ramp it is much easier!)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that last big donut seal is what I leave to the last, loosly bolt it together......then get the tail pipe section lined up/centred nicely through the rear valance, and then slowly and evenly tighten the 3 bolts on the donut.........always keeping the tailpipe centred (I use my knees, lying on my back! If your car is up on a ramp it is much easier!)
Awesome! Thanks Dom! I'll give that a try.

Car is currently up on 4 jack stands so it should be a piece of cake.

Best regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts