Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've tried to de-emphasize the (what I consider) odd-looking front bumper by painting the silver parts of the bumper black with bumper paint. I also removed outlining trim from the center portion.

I think that this center piece looks fine without anything in the groove where the plastic outlining trim was, but I'm finding out that the groove collects dirt and dust, and it's a pain to clean it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could use to fill this gap? I'm looking for something (black in color) that would be removable like the original outlining rather than a caulk/silicone fill material. (I can't just paint the original because it came out in about seven pieces).

Thank you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looks like a big improvement to me. Nice job.

I'd try filling the groove with a piece of pliable round black tubing set in black 'badge' adhesive. Rather than filling it flush like a hockey puck, it would be a refinement, like upholstery piping.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I went looking for black tubing but couldn't find any small enough, so I went to the electrical department at the Home Depot. I found some wire that did not have any printing on it and was about the right size. Cut it to length, put heat-shrink tubing over the ends, and pressed it into place. I agree with paleblue that it should stay in place without adhesive. (And even if it comes out, I can probably dig another $1.80 in change out of the seats for a replacement).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was cinsidering cutting the aluminum away in the center and mounting a '73 scuddetto. Kind of drastic but I have an extra front bumper and a '73 grille not in use.

Your paint work looks good to me. What does the rear bumper look like all black?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Is that what the bumper would look like on a black Quad? I need to paint the silver area on mine and was worried about matching the color. Now I am thinking dark grey or black. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job Rich - looks better than mine - I might have to revisit this tomorrow!
David
David, the wire I used was actually a two-wire cable, which I separated. One of the wires had longitudinal ridges, but the other was smooth, and thus, good for this application. I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to be used for, but it is marked "12 AWG 2/C Underground Low Energy Circuit Cable"

Here's a picture of the rear bumper. I still need to repair the faded black plastic on the back of the car. That's for another day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rich, I think the all black bumpers suit the car well , and although not original - IIRC "period correct "
If you have some wire left could you measure the OD? Just for reference so we know what fits well .Cheeers
David

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David, I'm not too worried about being "correct," and I've never liked the painted-silver bumpers.

The wire OD is just under 3/16 inch, which I think is about 4.75 mm (if my memory is correct that there are 25.4 mm/inch).

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that what the bumper would look like on a black Quad? I need to paint the silver area on mine and was worried about matching the color. Now I am thinking dark grey or black. Thanks for the pictures.
Richard, regardless of what color you use, I would recommend painting the entire bumper (i.e., the silver parts). The bumper comes off easily by undoing the eight nuts that attach the bumper to the two bumper supports and sliding the bumper rearward slightly.

I used two jackstands to support the bumper while I pulled each side of the bumper off the retaining studs. I masked off the black-rubber portions and used the rattle-can bumper paint, giving it 3-4 coats. I used a full can for the rear and one for the front. ( I didn't paint the bottoms of the bumpers). The bumper paint is about a "satin" finish. I htink a Quad would have a gloss paint on the bumper.

Replacement of the bumper was pretty easy using the jackstand approach. Front bumper uses same approach but you have to disconnect the turn signals.

Good luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was cinsidering cutting the aluminum away in the center and mounting a '73 scuddetto. Kind of drastic but I have an extra front bumper and a '73 grille not in use.

Your paint work looks good to me. What does the rear bumper look like all black?
I bought a Alfetta grille this past winter to do the same. Here's a quick mock-up I did:

As you can see, the grill will need to be pushed up slightly, and the cut-out for the black plastic shield will have to be dealt with. Also, once you cut the underlying aluminum crash bar, you will have to figure out a way to support the inside ends.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts