Alfa Romeo Forums banner

S3 bumper mods

10K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  GTVG8R 
#1 ·
Been thinking about this for a while. Earlier models look much more sleek than the S3, I think mostly because of the "bumper car" bumpers that the U.S. Transportation Safety Board decided the Spider needed to be safe. Sorry guys, it will never be a safe vehicle.... here are a few pics of the transition I started today, a bit more to do but this is where the bumper will stay and when it goes to the paint booth I will paint both bumpers body color. I will work on the front next and probably do away with the Alfa badge center bumper and replace with something more traditional.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Spent some time today working on the front bumper. Got the new mounting figured out and mocked it up so I can get an idea on what I want to do about the bumper emblem, fabricate one or use an earlier style. Will need to make a new side marker too since I basically cut all that away.... I think I it will look pretty good after it gets painted body color.

Attachments

Reactions: TxPete
#6 ·
You are in the same place I was several years ago with my '76 Spider. The black bumpers protruded too much so I found out how to retract them closer to the body. After removing the small chrome pieces that formed the outline of a grille at the upper and lower edges of the front bumper, I discovered there was a circular notch at the upper edge of the body that would accommodate the contour of a real grille. This, and the retracted bumper, made it apparent that an earlier grill would fit if I just cut a big notch in the rubber bumper. As you probably know by now, the rubber bumper is really several layers of heavy steel merely covered by a thin layer of rubber. The bumper was ruined once I began cutting the rubber, so I continued hacking
Bumper Automotive exterior Grind rail Table Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Classic car
until there was just a small part connecting each side together and was able to mount a 1974 style grille. I never painted the bumpers, and eventually did the full stainless conversion, but will be anxious to see your car. An uncut, retracted body colored bumper, is a lot less work and should look really nice.

#7 ·
Thanks for the pic and inspiration. I found an early grille on Ebay and put an offer in on it. I believe it will fit nicely between the bumper sections. I may paint them with some Alfa 530 before the whole car goes to the paint shop for an Alfa red with pearl. I already like the look much better without the tugboat bumpers.

#9 ·
Earlier models look much more sleek than the S3, I think mostly because of the "bumper car" bumpers that the U.S. Transportation Safety Board decided the Spider needed to be safe. Sorry guys, it will never be a safe vehicle....
Luckily, it's no less safe now than it was before. 5mph bumpers had nothing at all to do with safety. They were a sop to the insurance lobby.

#11 ·
Please give details on what modifications you made to the rear bumper. Did you only modify the mounts or did you modify the bumper? I have an S2 so I’m not familiar with the S3 bumpers, but I have removed the rear anchor on my 82 S2 and plan to either modify or replace. Thanks!

#13 ·
Well, I believe you are almost totally alone in that vision.

#15 ·
Looking froward to seeing it with the front grill installed. So far it looks great.

I agree with the first part of what Bianchi says, that the S3 black wrap around bumpers are well imagined. It was a really a good, up-to-date 80's design. It is just the execution that is poor, with the spacing needed to comply with federal bumper requirements that stretches everything out from the body. I think they look better tucked in. Sleeker, returns the car to the correct length.

#16 · (Edited)
I bet to differ. They dont fit the car, there is nothing European about them. They look like they were designed by Lee Iacocca. With both bumpers done now it presents itself much closer to what Pinin envisioned in the 60's. I have a 70's Alfetta grille coming next week.

Attachments

#17 ·
The black plastic bumpers are very European, same as VW, BMW, Jaguar and others from the 80's. Not what Pinn envisioned but what the times required. Some of the touches pander to america tastes like the (Camaro) spoiler and tail lights. The front grill is terrible!

#19 ·
There is sure a lot of options on what a Alfa Romeo Spider is to look like. I guess that is what the hobby is all about. Make your ride match your personality is what I say. S2 and 3 are not terribly expensive cars. Why not have a lot of fun modifying them. My hats off to anyone who enjoys shop time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Alfetta grille came today. Here us a mock up of what I am thinking but probably a bit more angle to it....

Attachments

#24 ·
A quotable statement, especially if you take the original Latin translation instead of the Western interpretation and usage of the saying.
I have never been a follower. One that stays within the lines of normalcy. I am a mover, a shaker, a person that thinks out of the box. This IS my strength and it has served me well not only in my hobbies but made me an innovator in my profession, the person others look to for ideas and possibilities to problems not typically solved or addressed by conventional thinking. To those who dare not step over that line or create their own path, find comfort in your " walk the line" methods. I cannot.

#23 ·
Nice. Too bad they dont make a euro conversion for the S3....

#26 ·
Sure they do. You need

Bumper and grill kit.
Upper and lower S2 nose panels.
Both front S2 fenders
Trunk lid
Upper and lower S2 rear panels
Both rear S2 quarter panels.
S2 taillights.
Other small parts.

There was a Alfa supplier in Germany that was selling a complete kit. I think it was around 5 to 6 grand about 10 years ago.

Or you could just buy an 82 Spider. Bosch injection and easily converted back to euro bumpers.

#25 ·
Having large, heavy objects at the extremes of the car has a negative effect on the handling. Anything that you do to reduce the weight of the bumpers will make your Spider more nimble. The improvement in handling when US spec bumpers are replaced by Euro bumpers is well worth having.

Reactions: SkiBum
#33 ·
Thanks, I think it will blend nicely when it is done. I am going to dechrome the car so that grille may end up black.....

#31 ·
I may be getting in over my head here but, I would add another (mirror image) white strip(s) on the drivers side of both hood and boot. When I first glanced at the front, just for a second, I though the grill was off center. Hey that's just my thoughts.
I know, I know. ??

N.B. On another car forum I am known as "(GRANDPA GRUMPYPANTS "

#32 ·
I may be getting in over my head here but, I would add another (mirror image) white strip(s) on the drivers side of both hood and boot. When I first glanced at the front, just for a second, I though the grill was off center. Hey that's just my thoughts.
I know, I know. ??

N.B. On another car forum I am known as "(GRANDPA GRUMPYPANTS "
That grille is just hanging there by masking tape, I wanted to get an idea of what it will look like. I need to cut some notches in the bumper to move it back a bit and tilt it at more of a downward angle. The rally stripe is going away when I take the car to the paint booth but that is after all the mechanical work is done.

#34 ·
I like your out of the box thinking. I was studying the picture with the Alfetta grill. It looks a bit small in the space provide for the grill. Here is a thought --- take the original grill and cut it vertically, about an inch or so. This way you can use it as a backing plate for the Alfetta grill. To give it a modern look --- the black chrome would look great on all of the shiny pieces. Keep up the good work.

#35 ·
Great minds think alike! I too was thinking of using the original rubber "grille" in part as a mounting place and filler. I was thinking of filleting it at an angle to angle the new grille downward....

#39 ·
My $0.02: I took a simpler approach - compressed the two fwd and rear bumper pistons, sectioned the side trims to align with the wheel arches, and repainted the bumpers. I'm happy with the results. View attachment 1781025 View attachment 1781024 I lost the front sidelights but still have been able to live a full life. David OD Laguna CA
Do you have any pictures of the repainted bumpers?

#41 ·
Reading through this thread there is a lot of talk about weight reduction. Since this post was started, Alfaholics now offers a front bumper set that seems to be lighter. I am thinking most of the weight is what is under the bumper caps, but wondering how much the actual bumper of an S3 weighs?

David those bumpers look great! Not quite as noticeable in the rear, but still fantastic work.

#42 ·
The Alfaholics front number set is only the plastic skin over top of the later series 3 bumpers. Earlier ones had a much heavier thick rubber bumper with what must be a uranium core. Those plastic parts won't be enough to replace a heavy bumper and won't change the extended bumper profile of the S3 (if that is your mission).

#45 ·
I’m jumping in even later. I have my sights on a 1990 S3 and am about to pull the trigger. I’ve owned three S2’s but have always had a vision to modify an S3. I’ve always felt that the design of the S3 was out of proportion. The front bumper combined with the spoiler make it look like a big catfish. The rear spoiler and bumper remind me of the deck of a ski boat. The car sits 1 or 2 inches too high which is good for sump clearance but adds to the dopey look. But what really bugs me is the big elephant ear sideview mirrors. Totally at odds with the round contours of the original body. Same with the Jaguar XJS. I would start by replacing them with early S2 round mirrors and add a Zender kit. I appreciate the ideas in this thread and am considering the options. Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.