Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you can help.. My 86 Quad has an electric fan that will run while the car is not running and after use in warmer weather. The last time it went off it drained my battery to the point where I did not have enough power left to crank the engine. The voltage meter prior to this usually hovered around 13.2 +/-, Now it sits just above 12.1 or so.

The battery looks very small and it looks like a real cheapie. There is ample room for a larger battery and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a specific size. I've read about the Optima batteries that are cranking and deep cycle which would help me out with the battery drain with the running fan. I did read a post recently regarding someone having problems with their running fan. Since I do not use the AC, could I simply disconnect it ? I do like the idea of the additional cooling assistance. It can get hot in NY at times.

Thanks all!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My 86 Grad had the same problem.

There are two sensors which will turn the fan on. One turns the fan on anytime the gauge indicates a little over 175. The other turns the fan on anytime the AC is on and the temp gauge reads over 175.

The problem arises when the battery is running the fan for long periods of time after shutting the engine off. These cars require lots of cranking amps and volts (power). I have an Interstate battery, I think it puts out at least 700 CCA, and I don't necessarily believe its required to spend the money for an Optima or any other high dollar battery.

What is necessary is that the battery be able to provide enough power to crank the engine, even after the fan has been running for 15 minutes. CCA rating is what matters, since this is how auto batteries are rated. My opinion is the same regarding oil, spark plugs, filters, etc. How often you replace, maintain these items matters more than the brand. My opinion. I'll also say my car has 125+K miles on it, is driven almost everyday, and is driven hard.

The other option is to disconnect the sensor which keeps the engine running after shut-off. I've run my car like this for 3 years. I also usually drive to and from work and put the car in the garage. The temp gauge sits around 175 except on very hot days where it hovers just over 175. Knowing that the pressurized water boils at over 212F, I don't worry about it.

Duke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts