Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '83 Spider a month ago, and have finally been getting around to fixing some minor things. Anyways, this afternoon, while lubing the trunk latch, I noticed that there were fumes coming from the battery area. Thinking that there might be short in the area, I quickly disconnected the negative cable. I then went back to lubing the latch and noticed it again.

The PO put in a new battery just over a month ago, although I would prefer to eventually buy an Optima. Additionally I had been working on the exterior door latches and trying to rectify slow window lifts. Could starting and stopping the engine (while I was raising and lowering the windows) caused the battery to overcharge a bit, in turn causing the fumes?

Thanks for any info!

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
An overcharging battery would be rather warm wouldn't it?

There is a fuel vapor recovery tank in the compartment forwards of the trunk. There is a one way valve and an air inlet valve associated with that. They can get gummed up and prevent proper venting/collection of fuel vapors. Sure that ain't what you smell?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't smell anything and I didn't feel the battery. The sun was fairly low to the passenger's side of the car, which is where I "saw" the steam-like vapors wafting out from over the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts