Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am trying to install a Personal steering wheel from a 1975 Spider on my Duetto. I immediately ran into a bit of a problem. Both wheels are keyed and fit onto the steering column, but the original steering wheel's hub is shaped differently, in that it extends deeper onto the column and it seems to make space for the plastic steering column cover. The hub of the Personal wheel is essentially flat, so it rests against and rubs against the plastic "clam shell". That keeps it from sliding down onto the column as deeply as the original wheel to expose all/enough of the threads for the mounting nut to securely install the steering wheel. Is the series 2 spider steering column longer, or is the plastic column cover shorter? Help! Thanks in advance for any responses with advice.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Actually, the Duetto column is a little longer and I believe the clamshell is quite a bit longer. There may be other issues as well. I started to do this same changeover on my Duetto and gave up when I realized that I liked the feel, depth and diameter of the original wheel better anyway. I had been driving it that way for about 15 years and I guess I wasn't ready for change :p My swap may have been further complicated because I was swapping in a slightly shorter column to replace my Burman box at the same time. I tried different clamshell covers, different column brackets, etc. before giving up. There probably is a workable combination but I quit before I found it. I do have a couple of different clamshell sizes up here in Hagerstown if you want to experiment. I'd sell one pretty cheap if it looked like it would work. You don't want to trim your original Duetto piece if you can avoid it as they are very scarce.

I'm sure that this changeover has been done successfully so maybe you'll get a more helpful response than mine.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The "Personal" steering wheels are deeper dish than the Duetto. To keep the wheel in the same position, Alfa made the steering column and it's cover shorter. I think the difference is less than 1/2 inch. But the later steering column was shortened below the ignition, so the shorter clamshells will not quite fit the space between the ignition switch and the wheel on a Duetto configuration properly either.

Probably the only way to get a good fit is to trim the Duetto clamshells. I agree that is risky.

I put a later 'Personal' wheel on my duetto to get the wheel a little closer to me. As a tall - 6'2" - driver, I have the seat all the way back to clear my knees. But that puts the wheel at orangutang distance, and my arms get tired stretching that far......

Robert

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert, so how did you do it? Did you trim the clamshells? I suppose it could be done, but it seems almost sacrilegious to do it. Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your Personal wheel on your Duetto? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, Thanks for that. I may take you up on the offer to try different clamshells out. I wonder how they will work, considering the ignition switch position on the Duetto...

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Bill, Thanks for that. I may take you up on the offer to try different clamshells out. I wonder how they will work, considering the ignition switch position on the Duetto...
I don't recall the ignition switch position being a problem with the clamshells I have but I may need to drag them out again to make sure. Seems to me it had more to do with a big unsightly gap between the back of the steering wheel and the clamshell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts