Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask where are all the concousre or fully restored series 2 spiders (71-74)? Are there many left that are in great condition?

I see many fine examples of Duettos and GTVs but so many of the spiders. The ones I see usually need work of some kind.

For the ones that are fortunate enough to own of these mint condition S2 spiders would you ever part with it and what kind of money would such cars sell for.

I have seen some nice S2 spiders but the owners of the Duettos or GTVs tend to spend more on restoring their cars.

Your comments are most welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hi Frank,

The restored / preserved square tail Spiders are out there. I see some very nice ones at the AROC national convention concours. As to the question of round vs. square tail, it depends on who you ask. I'm a square tail fancier but, as you say, there seems to be more restoration activity among the round tail fraternity. Maybe it's an age elated issue; more S2 cars are still being driven, while the S1's are so old they attract the restoration mind set.

S1 vs S2 (or S3,or S4) is kinda like a white Spider being claimed to be faster than a black one. It's all opinions...

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask where are all the concousre or fully restored series 2 spiders? Are there many left that are in great condition?

I see many fine examples of Duettos and GTVs but so many of the spiders. The ones I see usually need work of some kind.

For the ones that are fortunate enough to own of these mint condition S2 spiders would you ever part with it and what kind of money would such cars sell for.

I have seen some nice S2 spiders but the owners of the Duettos or GTVs tend to spend more on restoring their cars.

Your comments are most welcome.

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
I think that the situation reflects the market for these cars. You may be able to get your money back if you restore and sell a boat tail but not a cam tail. A lot of folks will be reluctant to sink a lot into an S2 restoration when they expect to take a big hit if they have to sell it. Also, many folks (like myself) prefer the look of the Euro S2 spiders and make their cars non-original when they restore them. That hits them hard in judged shows.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Yes. I think it's a matter of rarity and valuation. Far fewer S1 Spiders, while S2 Spiders are relatively plentiful. Also, the look of the federalized bumper Spiders (1975-on) make them not as popular.

A nice S2 Spider with a $15k price tag is not going to sell. Sort of like the $27k 164s, and $50k GTV6s. Sure they're near perfect cars, but who cares because there's (probably) no one going to pay that kind of money them.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Yes. I think it's a matter of rarity and valuation. Far fewer S1 Spiders, while S2 Spiders are relatively plentiful. Also, the look of the federalized bumper Spiders (1975-on) make them not as popular.

A nice S2 Spider with a $15k price tag is not going to sell. Sort of like the $27k 164s, and $50k GTV6s. Sure they're near perfect cars, but who cares because there's (probably) no one going to pay that kind of money them.
Now wait just a gol-durned minnit there RT---this here one is available for $15k:D

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think you got your answer early on. Anyone selling a nicely restored S2 would be losing money big time, so they'll just hold on and enjoy it until they can get their money back. I suggest watching for estate sales.

OK I re-read your post. Are you asking where are ones for sale, or where are any at all? I answered why you don't see them for sale. The same answer gives a clue as to why they are rare at all: there is no pay back on restoring one, except personal enjoyment. This price compression (not much difference between a beater and a nice one, certainly not enough to justify putting money into one) is the death of classic cars at a certain place in their price curve. S2s have been stuck there a long time and there is much debate on whether they'll ever come up, pulled by Duettos, but dragged down by an abundance of cheap rubber bumpered stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Roger,

A good analysis. However, your remark about the many rubber bumper cars made me think about the reproduction stainless steel Spider bumpers now available. The supplier wouldn't have done this without thinking there is a market for such things and, in a roundabout way, I wonder if this doesn't predict a desire / value increase for Series 2 spiders (maybe because I did the bumper conversion on my '76 spider).

I still remember buying a new 1971 1750 Spider, and really preferring the Kamm tail and raked back windshield over the roundtail versions.

I think you got your answer early on. Anyone selling a nicely restored S2 would be losing money big time, so they'll just hold on and enjoy it until they can get their money back. I suggest watching for estate sales.

OK I re-read your post. Are you asking where are ones for sale, or where are any at all? I answered why you don't see them for sale. The same answer gives a clue as to why they are rare at all: there is no pay back on restoring one, except personal enjoyment. This price compression (not much difference between a beater and a nice one, certainly not enough to justify putting money into one) is the death of classic cars at a certain place in their price curve. S2s have been stuck there a long time and there is much debate on whether they'll ever come up, pulled by Duettos, but dragged down by an abundance of cheap rubber bumpered stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
I have some money in my '79, as you can see. I too prefer the look of the steel bumpered cam tails over duetto's. It is not too difficult to find a rust free late S2 so you can have a solid, good looking Spider. I am not worried about losing money on it because I have no intention of selling it. There must be many cars like mine but it is rare to see one for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
There is a fine restored 1971 original 1750 Euro Spider (carbs, not SPICA) for sale in the Toronto Area. Bin for sale for some time..now dropped down to 11,000$CDN. This car had an off chassis body restoration. It is a "known" carb in the ARCCTO fraternity. No takers.....
I don't know what to say...
Note to "NICOLA", car would probably sell if you were looking a little more grumpy and/or dejected....LOL
Elio

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Ed,

Nice job deleting the rear side-markers and suing the Euro-style front markers.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There is a fine restored 1971 original 1750 Euro Spider (carbs, not SPICA) for sale in the Toronto Area. Bin for sale for some time..now dropped down to 11,000$CDN. This car had an off chassis body restoration. It is a "known" carb in the ARCCTO fraternity. No takers.....
Note to "NICOLA", car would probably sell if you were looking a little more grumpy and/or dejected....LOL
Elio
Hey Elio....
Or IF, I were really trying to sell it!!;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Elio
Can you provide a link for this car?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Jon,
I think all of us that are "comitted" to our Alfas can say that.

Truly ALFAS are like mistresses...the more you spend time with them, treat them nice and the more you spend on them...the greater pleasure you get in return.
TTFN Elio

1 - 15 of 15 Posts