Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon ,
I'm in the porcess of replacing my centre console - a previos owner had hacked it about and added quite a few aftermarket swithes and lamps , and made some baffling alteratons to the wiring in the process. Ive decided it will be far easier to make an all new wiring loom for my new console, rather than trying to 'undo' all the mods made to the existing wiring. My problem is the wire itself - I'd like to use the same colors as the original , but its hard to find once source that does all the different color combinations used. I have matched the connectors no problem, and have a 30 year old roll of insulation tape:)

Im sure RS will have what I'm after - but thier choice of wire is so vast its baffling!
The existing wiring looks to use similar to a 'Tri-Rated' 32/0.235mm 1.5mm cross section - RS sell this, but only a limited selection of colors.
Has anyone managed to make new looms , with the original color scheme?

TFN

Jon

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
One option would be to find a used harness. Try Ebay or call Alfa Parts Exchange.

Also, you should contact BB member PapaJam. He makes color coded wire diagrams for our cars. Vastly superior to the cryptic Alfa schematics. Send him a request via PM, include your email address and prepare to be wowed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a wiring harness from an '82 Spider available in Prescott, AZ. if that is in fact an S2. I never can keep that S stuff straight. The fellow's name is Pete 928-899-1251. His prices are very reasonable.

LOL

Neil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good evening - many thanks so far - I did spot a series 2 wiring loom on ebay as it happens....
Ive had a go at doing my own colored wiring diagram , Im sure not quite as 'pro' as PapaJams - Sounds like its worth getting one

- I scanned the one from my owners manual , enlarged it , and have printed it out and laminated it - I've gone over the lines with colored marker pen as I've identified each wire. Im suprised that the wire color coding in the car actually matches the diagram exactly (how boring;) )

tfn

Jon

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Different colors and gauges of wire can be found at British Wiring - harnesses for classic cars and motorcycles and Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc. among others. Don't use regular electrical tape to wrap the harness. The right stuff is kind of like that, but doesn't have the creeping adhesive that will get all over everything. It basically sticks to itself. British Wiring has it.

Definitely get Papajam's diagrams and save yourself some headaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts