Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm presently looking to upset my wife by buying another classic car, and have been focussing on the Series 2 spiders from '71 to '74... I've found a car in Canada, but it is in Vancouver - and I'm in Toronto... I was wondering if there are any West coast members out there who would be willing to take a look at this for me?

The car;

1973 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce 2000 Iniezione for $9,980 in Vancouver | autoTRADER.ca

(if this doesn't work go to 1973 Green Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce Iniezione - $9,980 - For Sale, Finance Lease or Buy Car's Vancouver, BC - Bluestarmotors.com )

Photos look good, but the affordable price, while attractive, worries me somewhat - especially as this is not a "private" sale. Also concerned that there are no shots of the underside, none of the engine bay and none of the trunk...

Even if you're not out in BC, if you could give me any opinions based upon the photos listed in the ads, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks guys!! cheers - Bruce

·
Registered
399 Posts
One of our local members has a 1978 Niki Lauda for sale. If I remember the asking price is 12K. Car is located in Ottawa.

I have not seen the car but knowing the member, it is likely in pristine condition.

Let me know if you're interested and I can certainly have a closer look for you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Car looks really good and solid off of the available pictures. However pictures of the engine compartment and undercarriage are paramount. Please ask for them. I'm assuming the asking price is Canadian dollars? If so that would put it about under 9 grand U.S. with about 68k miles. If the rest of the car checks out, definitely a good buy if it can be had for even less than that. In my opinion S2 spiders in particular, in green, look splendid.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
cracked dash

One thing I noticed from the pictures was the presence of a dash cap, which indicates a cracked original dashboard is hidden underneath.

And although this is only a personal opinion, I am not a big fan of the aftermarket protective side molding (which runs the full length of this car). The strips on the sides of this car look like they were installed by a professional, but in some applications, holes are actually drilled in the body to install this stuff (particularly the professionally installed versions), so IMO the side molding drops the value of this car a bit.

The engine compartment is not that critical, but I would ask the seller to provide a couple of photos of the trunk area (with the liner removed) and both rocker panels from the underside of the car. If they aren't willing to do that, they might be hiding something (rust) and you probably don't want the car for that reason.

It is good that you want someone to look at it in person. Any mechanical issues are pretty straightforward to correct, and parts are readily available, so your #1 concern with a Spider of this vintage should be the presence (or amount) of corrosion. Removing rust is where the big money comes into play.

BTW, is the $9,980 asking price in USD or CAD?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shiraz - One of the reasons I prefer the series 2 is the lack of a rear air dam - but I have to say, the body colour dam on the Lauda looks quite nice... hmmpf. Had never heard of a Niki edition before... learn something new everyday! I would be interested in hearing more about this car... new to the site, and not sure if you can access my email from here, regardless, if yiou could drop me a line on this I'd appreciate it...!

Fish - Yes - this should be in Canadian dollars... so the US$ price would be in the order of $8,872. Yeah - I liked the green too. My last car was a 1971 Mercedes W115 4 speed in what I considered to be "British racing green" but was more correctly called "dunkl olive". I'm tickled that the Alfa green is called Verde Inglese... :)

Norseman... and this is why I asked you guys... there is NO way I ever would have seen the "dash cap"... (how did you??? :) ) Can't see the side moulding either - from one view (the rear 3/4) the area below the lower "cut line" that joins the wheel arches appears to be a slightly different colour/reflectivity/material... Is this what you're talking about?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated - Cheers - Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Norseman... and this is why I asked you guys... there is NO way I ever would have seen the "dash cap"... (how did you??? :) ) Can't see the side moulding either - from one view (the rear 3/4) the area below the lower "cut line" that joins the wheel arches appears to be a slightly different colour/reflectivity/material... Is this what you're talking about?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated - Cheers - Bruce
Hi Bruce,
The side molding that I was referring to is the thin rubber strip (approx. 1/2" wide) that someone attached just above the 6" wide inwardly curved horizontal feature that runs from the back of front wheel well to the tail on both sides. Thin rubber molding like this is designed to protect the paint on the sides against parking lot door dings. This particular application has small chrome tips anchoring the ends of each section.

It was pretty easy to spot in the third and fourth pictures in the AutoTrader.ca ad when they were viewed "full screen".

I wouldn't let the dash cap or the aftermarket trim scare you off. If you really love the car (color, interior, wheels, etc.) just make sure there isn't too much rot (rust), the cylinders have even compression, and then buy it.

You only live once, and even a Spider parts car is worth $2K, so you can't get hurt too much.

Good luck,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Norseman... Now that you have pointed it out, I can see it.... Never would have, otherwise, though! Good to know - I'd still like to see if there is someone who could check this out for me, but now I have a little more information...

Thanks again! Will post here when I have (finally) committed to something!

Cheers -B

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello, the lower dash console has two very nice cracks in it. I expect better from a car with around a 10k asking price. Cheers Neil. Cigarette lighter is wrong should be a brico pram. Please excuse my spelling if incorrect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Alfa Tiger... again - amazing, but I hadn't seen those cracks...

In your opinion, what should I pay for a Spider? Ideally, as stated, I'm looking at a 71 to 74... and I'm hoping for what Hagerty values as a 2 or 3 - I'm hoping for the high end of 3 and the low end of 2... This would suggest a high end of about US$21,000 to a low end of about US$17,000... A bit disconcerting because I am hoping not to spend more than Cdn$18,000 (about US$16,000)...

I've seen a couple of lovely ones on Hemmings, 1 in Wisconsin (red), 1 in Illinois green - oh - and a strange one in my hometown (Toronto) with wire wheels, few photos and what appears to me to be a strange stance for US$23K...), but these are above US$20,000, and would be more after ppi, transport and import... sigh. I am hoping to find a good one more locally...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello, like everything in life condition is everything. I think a good spider can be had for around 10 k. With all the cosmetics and correct interior. People often ask for whatever floats their boat but I go by what they actually sell for. I chose a 1979 spider from California, nice body,decent cosmetics. Looking for a driving project, so a new top and a bumper conversion and wham I've got a 1974 look. You may be a turn key kind of guy which is cool also, so demand correct cosmetics and the best body and drivetrain. Post an add in the for sale and wanted section and watch your in box fill up. Good luck with your search. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Neil - Thanks for that.

I'm trying to go by the maxim that one should buy the best car one can afford... problem is, there are a lot of sellers out there, unsurprisingly (no offence offered) asking for the very best price they can get. I don't mind paying for quality, but I am anxious not to overpay. I don't mind doing a little of the work myself, but I know from past experience how quickly a "cheap car"can become very expensive, because I am a bit of a perfectionist...

Will be taking your advice -

Thanks again, Neil - cheers - Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another car I'd appreciate your collective opinions on...

I've been keeping an eye on several, and this one keeps popping up...;

1974 Alfa Romeo Spider Convertible for sale | Hemmings Motor News

The price seems to be pretty good, which - perversely - worries me a bit... Having looked through the pics, this is what I see;

• Looks like the dash has a pad or has been recovered (and not all that well)
• Rockers have been painted black... not sure I like the look and wondering what's underneath...
• Rear bumper appears to have sustained damage left side and is perhaps "hanging lower"?
• SPICA replaced with single (?) carb...
• Steering wheel appears to have cracks
• Engine bay has slightly different colour which suggests a (recent?) respray, which makes me a little leery...

What are your thoughts on this one...? I mean, for the most part, as long as the body is solid, the things I've noticed seem relatively minor given the price... (?)

This is the one I'd really like - but it's a bit beyond my price range...

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce Convertible for sale | Hemmings Motor News

"sigh"... :)

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
That last car just has too many things going wrong with it. The bumpers, front and back, for a start (the rear one looks upside down!) . The seat runners look awful rusty, as do the indicator stalks...what's up[ with that ? Respray looks so-so...lotsa orange peel. Dash cap fitted, horrors underneath I'm thinking. And what's up with that ghetto battery installation ? Weber carb conversion, hopefully done right. Top looks low rent...vinyl does not suit these cars. And I agree, black sills are an instant red flag for me. Nah, I'd walk away from this one...just my £.02 worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL - Hadn't noticed the battery... was focusing too much on the carb...

Thanks for that - kinda confirmed what I thought - that there's likely a very good reason (or reasons) that this is going "cheap".

Can't say I'm too upset about this - aside from anything else it's about an 8 1/2 hour drive from me....

Thanks Garwood - cheers - Bruce

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with Chris, many red flags. Later mirrors on a early car, really! A proper battery hold down can be had for under 20 been bucks, aftermarket. Front left overrides is fitted wrong. A single down draft is just wrong. Your are taking arguably the fastest era spider for the us market and sticking a single carb on it. Spica or dual carbs should adorn that engine bay. The rust on the seat pedestals screams run don't walk away from this car. IMHO this is not a spider that is worth 10 k. I have seen better cars for far less money advertised on this board. Cheers Neil. Forgot to mention lack of emblem on steering hub.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...which I suppose brings us back to the premise that if something appears to be too good to be true (in this case, the price) it probably is!!

Thanks! Cheers - Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah - The red on in Wi is a beauty... and it really looks as it it's been cared for. I think I could probably come up with the extra $$$ (to an extent) but at present, the complications of buying internationally, shipping, border sorting and the like is beyond me - too busy. If I get time over Christmas (and this one is still on offer) I might try then...

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I think if I was in the market for a specific generation of Spider, I'd get in touch with the national / local Alfa club sections, and either search their ads first, or post a wanted ad of my own. I would much rather buy a car from a knowledgeable prior owner than someone with little or no experience with these cars. Networking via the club is bound to turn up a few examples for sale, especially as the colder weather closes in ! Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts