Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure that the 5 year old battery in my Spider is toast. Current battery is an Interstate group size 24 and is located in the engine compartment above alternator.

Here's the question: has anyone used a different group size battery in a S2 Spider?

Most of the battery size charts indicate group size 24 as the proper size, though Sears' interactive battery selector returns group sizes 24, 25, 26, and 34.

Of particular interest are groups 24 and 34:
Group Length Width Height
24___ 10.30" 6.80" 8.90"
34___ 10.30" 6.80" 7.90"

Group 34 is one inch less in height than group 24, but should still fit in the tray.

The answer may be of interest to Costco members, as Costco stocks group 34 batteries, but, as far as I can tell, not 24s.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I must have had a memory lapse - Costco stocks group 24F, but not 34.

Costco batteries are now Interstate, prices are very good, but not all group sizes are available.

Unfortunately, 24F has the posts flipped with + on the left and - on the right. Aaarghh. Bought one anyway. When daylight hits I will see if cables are long enough.

(I suspect that rotating the battery 180 degrees, so that the posts are next to the fender with - on left and + on right, is not advisable due to possibility of electrical short (or ...).)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Bob, I replaced my Spider S2 battery last year with a battery 8.9"/220mm high. I found I had to remove the plastic tray so the terminal were not to close to the bonnet. I made the mistake of buying one without recessed terminal as the previous was and was worried about it hitting the bonnet. I also bought some of the plastic terminal covers to help insulate them. I was probably worrying about nothing but was more concerned at making dints in my bonnet from the negative terminal.
Concerning which side to have the terminals I have another battery from my New Giulietta which I recently replaced as it was never the correct one when I bought the car, with the opposite terminals which I was thinking of using instead if it's not as tall. Not measured yet. looking at pictures on Google images some are fitted connections on the engine side some on the wing/fender side. Mine were originally on the engine side but not sure which is correct.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where To and *Not To* Get Battery Group Size 24 Battery

... but was more concerned at making dints in my bonnet from the negative terminal. .... Not measured yet. looking at pictures on Google images some are fitted connections on the engine side some on the wing/fender side. Mine were originally on the engine side but not sure which is correct.
I tried rotating the new 24F battery 180 degrees and it's a no-go. Why? (1) Battery terminals are too high and will crash into hood. (My car has evidence of this situation from a PO.) (2) Cables are not long enough.

No-go Costco: They do not stock group 24 batteries, at least not in Northern California.

No-go AAA: Decided to call AAA this morning and let them do the driving and delivery. I gave phone operator all the information, including that I needed a size 24 battery. (FWIW AAA's online auto battery selector only goes back to model year 1980!) The truck came out in about an hour and the guy said that they don't stock group 24 batteries any more, as there's not enough demand. He also said that the call center folks don't know anything about cars/batteries and that they *did not* pass along the battery info I specified.

No-go Sears: Pricing, battery specifications, and warranty sub-par. And I used to be a Die-Hard guy.

Go Walmart: In stock at nearest store. As this store does not have an auto center, the batteries are inside the store in the auto section next to sports. Got an EverStart Maxx (manufactured by Johnson Controls) for $100 plus tax and core. 700 CCA with a 5 year warranty program, 3 years free replacement + 2 years prorated.

Per label on battery:
Free battery testing at all Walmart Stores
Free battery installation at all Walmart TLE Store​
from which I deduce that all Walmarts sell batteries.

Car started on second crank after sitting for four weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Been there, done that.

I don't think they even make group 24 batteries anymore, although I was shown a smaller "equivalent" the last time I bought a battery. The first question I get when asking for an automotive item by specification is "What car is it for?".

Sometimes, suppliers will have empty replicas of different batteries on their shelves, and you can take one of these light weight versions out to the parking lot for a trial fit.

... I gave phone operator all the information, including that I needed a size 24 battery. (FWIW AAA's online auto battery selector only goes back to model year 1980!) The truck came out in about an hour and the guy said that they don't stock group 24 batteries any more, as there's not enough demand. He also said that the call center folks don't know anything about cars/batteries....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Battery

Group 34 is the proper size battery,with positive post on left when posts closest to you. Deka is by far the best battery.Made in the USA. Has much more lead, and lasts longer than all other batteries. Because of stringent EPA laws,all other batteries are made in Mexico. There have even been counterfeit Interstate batteries that have less electrolyte,and less than stated CCA.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Perhaps not as common in automotive applications these days but Group 24 batteries are certainly available. Our propane forklift fleet uses them and the GTV has a black-top Interstate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts