Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

While I'm still tracking down the creeping overheating on my 1979 Spider Veloce I'm attempting to get the title transferred to me and all the associated paperwork. I took it in to be emissions tested, as is necessary in Colorado for post 1975 vehicles, and they informed me that it would need to pass a visual inspection for all original emissions equipment as well as a tailpipe emissions test. I knew this was a possibility but there wasn't very solid information available online for Colorado. The car still has the cat but I had removed the air pump assembly. Thankfully I kept everything and was able to put the air pump back on easily. While I would say the pump itself spins freely I think I noticed that it was putting more stress on the engine and was making the temperature gauge rise a little more dramatically. I am sure that if I resolve the cause of the overheating it won't be an issue but I'd like to make sure that the air pump is in as good of working order as possible as I understand they aren't easy to get a hold of. I've heard that the bearing isn't designed to be serviced but can be if the flange holding it in is modified. Is this something that is suggested if you are planning on keeping the air pump on long term? I noticed the "no oil" sign on the pump and also wondered if there was any other servicing or maintenance that was required.

Now I understand and appreciate the argument for just getting the car tested with the pump on and then removing it for the next five years and I'm not saying I won't decide to do that, but the air pump, combined with the Dellorto DHLA 40s and no rear muffler, makes the car pop and bang on the overrun and it really brings out the yobbo in me. Obviously the car makes me smile every time I drive it but after not having the air pump on it for a few months and experiencing it with the overrun crackles again I was laughing out loud as I drove it today. Opinions on overrun pops aside I can't deny that I really enjoyed it again and since the car isn't breaking any dyno records I don't really see an issue with leaving the pump on. I just want to be as sure as possible that it won't become an issue in the future. Thanks for the advice in advance!

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
"emissions...as is necessary in Colorado for post 1975 vehicles, and they informed me that it would need to pass a visual inspection for all original emissions equipment ..The car still has the cat .....combined with the Dellorto DHLA 40s"

I'm a bit confused.....air pump with dellortos and a Cat?

that ought to really confuse the 'visual inspection'....!

what about all the spica stuff you removed, they not gonna notice that?.....;)
spica air pump.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about all the spica stuff you removed, they not gonna notice that?
The techs didn't notice 5 years ago and they weren't concerned this time around either. They can't tell a difference at a glance between the SPICA setup and carbs, but they can certainly tell when an air pump is missing. That's even without an airbox since there isn't one. If I had an airbox you really wouldn't be able to tell what was going on at a glance. I don't put that on them, since they realistically don't even see Alfas or even cars of this age that aren't SBC powered. Their job is to plug in an OBD-II reader and look at the readouts, after all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we don't call Colorado California Lite for nothing, but thankfully some things still slip through. I don't know how long the carbs have been on the car but I think it's been a long time. So long as they don't cause issues I'm happy to run them. I have zero of the SPICA components so reassembling it would be very prohibitive. I'd hide everything under an airbox with SPICA written on it before I'd even consider that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts