Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding a 83 Spider gearbox. Could not find any pictures of the reverse gear in the forum. I know the rev gear tends to look worn. Thoughts on the this ones condition for reuse? 135k miles, no idea how it was working before or mileage at last service. 9 small gear tooth fragments in the case (looks like teeth tips, only 5 in pic). Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
That one shouldn't go back in, its pretty chewed up. Which unfortunately is not that uncommon.
Its probably safe to assume that all the syncros are in similar shape if the reverse is that bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plan was to replace the 1-2 and 3-4 sync rings. Am I wrong about just turning the 5th gear sync around? Any recommendations on where to find parts other than Centerline or Vick's?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Nope that’s a good idea. The back side of the 5th ring doesn’t get used so it’s basically new.
Replace inner and outer rings, they wear together.
it may also be worth replacing the input shaft bearing as well, and the roller bearings because they’re pretty cheap and easy. It’s up to you and how work they are.
when I refreshed my tran, I did the inner and outer syncros, 1st gear fix,all new bearings, and one or two other things.
I used Alfaholics

Reactions: Fitstdy

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,432 Posts
That's what happens to the reverse gear if you don't touch another gear first, or wait a few seconds with the clutch down before shifting into reverse.

If you do either of those things the reverse gear will last a million years.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
slightly off your reverse gear topic

Check your dog gears. New synchros will only do so much to cover up the grind of bad dog gears.

You don't have to remove the retaining ring and all that like the first post says...just look at the teeth on the dog gear itself as it says in the second post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts