Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My US 1979 Spider has a 58 mm fill nozzle and I am considering replacing the tank with a Euro model with a 45 mm nozzle. Has anyone else done this and how did you deal with the filler hose issue? One possibility is to fit a short length of 45 mm hose over the tank nozzle as a sleeve for the existing 58 mm hose but perhaps there is a more elegant solution?
Thanks.

·
Richard Jemison
7,925 Posts
Take a short section of 2.25" exhaust tubing and a short section of 1.75" tubing ans after heating one end of the 2.25" so it can be formed (collapsed against the 1.75" section) then welded together (or brazed). This would be your reducer sleeve. You do the mm to " math.

Want me to build you one?

Rj the blacksmith

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
My US 1979 Spider has a 58 mm fill nozzle and I am considering replacing the tank with a Euro model with a 45 mm nozzle. Has anyone else done this and how did you deal with the filler hose issue? One possibility is to fit a short length of 45 mm hose over the tank nozzle as a sleeve for the existing 58 mm hose but perhaps there is a more elegant solution?
Thanks.
I guess my first question is why do this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
My ‘76 has a 45mm neck, as long as the filler neck bolts to the same spot you should just need the neck from an earlier car.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my first question is why do this?
Because my current tank is patched with JB Weld and I have been offered an NOS tank with a 45 mm nozzle.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This would be your reducer sleeve. You do the mm to " math.

Want me to build you one?
The math is fine. I need to take a good look at the hose to see how much it can be shortened and raised without kinking it.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Just a thought Ed, I have a 48mm hose that was sent to me from Classic Alfa UK by mistake. It's 2&1/4" length-wise.
Yours if you want.
LMK,
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Just a thought Ed, I have a 48mm hose that was sent to me from Classic Alfa UK by mistake. It's 2&1/4" length-wise.
Yours if you want.
LMK,
Greg
Must be something about being named Greg. I have the same hose from Classic Alfa.
Greg

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Because my current tank is patched with JB Weld and I have been offered an NOS tank with a 45 mm nozzle.
That makes sense. I had a used tank but let it go with a parts car. Wish i had kept it for you.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have an offer of a free used tank with the correct filler nozzle but I like the idea of a new one.
How reliable has your XK8 been? I have owned a 2011 XKR convertible for a little over a year and it has been fine so far. Carfax shows that it had a replacement water pump which may have been precautionary maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I also have an offer of a free used tank with the correct filler nozzle but I like the idea of a new one.
How reliable has your XK8 been? I have owned a 2011 XKR convertible for a little over a year and it has been fine so far. Carfax shows that it had a replacement water pump which may have been precautionary maintenance.
Well, other than brake ABS warning light which comes and goes and having to have the dealership do "adaption" programming on the gearbox to stop it from going into limp mode, not too bad. I would bet that yours will need that eventually.
Replaced the upper shock tower bushings a few years ago. Need to do it again with something better than the factory bushings which are a crappy design. Welsh Enterprises makes a good replacement.
Now the top is slow to release from the front latch. Haven't looked into that yet.
75,000 miles on it. Replaced gearbox oil and filter around 70,000. This was preventive maintenance. The gearbox will self destruct eventually if not done. Get on the Jaguar forum. Good people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts