Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working hard putting this S interior into my L. Dyed the carpet and swapped tan leather door panel inserts into my black L. Check the pics. :D I used a water based carpet dye from: Auto Detailing - Paintless Dent Repair - Paint Protection Film - Wheel Repair worked well but only as a refresh and not to change colors completely. I used Medium Brown and tested Smoke Gray on the old carpet just for kicks. I installed a new headliner while I was at it and it turned out well, but I broke my overhead console :mad: which was only about a year old but very sticky already, so I did cleaned it with lacquer thinner to get rid of the stickiness anyway. Also I need a new console carpet for the passenger side as you can see I am missing the top part to mine. My car has been transformed into a Maserati! :cool:
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more pics of carpet before and after. :D You could really use this stuff without removing the carpet and doesn't stink or make a horrible mess. It is not a perfect match color-wise, but definitely adds years to the look of the carpet.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also looking for the tan leather inserts for the driver door and a sun visor for the passenger side. I think that's it. :rolleyes:
Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I definitely like the S headrests that don't move so easily or as much, but I think I will miss the armrest. ;) And now I need new floor mats, anybody have original brown mats I can dye them to match. ;)
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
Looking good, but perhaps you should have painted the overhead console with something like Krylon paint to keep the stickiness from coming back. I did that with matte black, and it's been fine now for about 8 years.

How difficult was the headliner? That brown panel in the next to last picture, is it the backing for the headliner? Will have to do it to the S one of these days, but a little afraid of the sunroof, and when I tried to remove the overhead console, I couldn't seem to figure it out. Will have to look at it again I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Looking good, but perhaps you should have painted the overhead console with something like Krylon paint to keep the stickiness from coming back. I did that with matte black, and it's been fine now for about 8 years.

How difficult was the headliner? That brown panel in the next to last picture, is it the backing for the headliner? Will have to do it to the S one of these days, but a little afraid of the sunroof, and when I tried to remove the overhead console, I couldn't seem to figure it out. Will have to look at it again I guess.
Try SEM paint in anthricite! It matches perfect and gives the perfect matte finish!

I just put a Q carpet kit in my S. 100 times better than my faded blue, gray whatever color it was carpet, semi-new 95 Steering wheel and airbag (non colored badge type).
headliner is next. Will stick with stock color on that and will wait until this heat is gone. yuk
J

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Yes, Del that is backing panel for non-sun roof model. Sun roof model pretty much the same with cut out for sun roof opening.

As for sun roof inner panel you have to peel foam backing off headliner material to carefully glue it onto sliding panel. Panel won't clear/slide with foam on it.

I did lacquer thinner trick and matte black trim paint on control panel surround too to get rid of sticky surface, too.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headliner is a messy affair, not much fun really I'm glad it's done. I will have to rig some way to put the lights back into the overhead console since that is what broke.
Charles

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love the S seats, i just swapped the tan seats out of my S for some black ones. so now i have black seats with tan carpet and door panels. I like the look alot. tones down the interior without being monochromatic. yours look like they're perfect. I'll need to do the headliner before too long it's starting to sag a little. where did you get it?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Zackspeed, Do you want black leather door panel inserts to match? I will send you my black ones, if you will send me your tan ones? How about it, I am missing the driver door inserts, but we could do a complete set swap? I bought the fabric for the headliner from Hancock Fabrics, they have a light grey headliner material that is only slightly lighter than original and looks close to original in texture. BTW: I have an old roomate from college here visiting me, who now lives in Salt Lake and won't stop talking about the skiing! He is originally from Memphis and is now a sky bum. ;) He told me he sees 164s in Salt Lake. He must be talking about yours since there can't be too many!
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
I love the S seats, i just swapped the tan seats out of my S for some black ones. so now i have black seats with tan carpet and door panels. I like the look alot. tones down the interior without being monochromatic. yours look like they're perfect. I'll need to do the headliner before too long it's starting to sag a little. where did you get it?

Looks good, always liked a black and tan! :cool:

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh, I forgot to mention, when doing a headliner, BUY LARGE STRIPS OF VELCRO FOR THE CENTER, that is how it is held up. Forget this and it may droop a bit in the center!!!!! :eek: My velcro was shot and no longer strong enough to do anything. :rolleyes:
Charles

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry Chaz but I really like the 2 tone interior. Ive also already got a set of the Black door panels that are in good shape. I wonder if you could have the inserts dyed to match the other tan door panels?
Thanks for the info on the headliner.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang, I was afraid you were going to say that. I'm having more difficulty finding the d/s tan inserts than I thought I would.
Charles

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Why not reblack and treat those black seats?

That set of black S seats needed just some black spray dye and then some leather treatment to make them look like new again. They sure do look cracked and old untreated in the photo and I understand why you like the tan leather. However, for an S the black is what goes with the red. So, what happend to those seats? Did you say you put them in your L? Or are you selling them? I need some for a second S that had parts sold out of it that I bought to put back together with upgrades.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, when doing a headliner, BUY LARGE STRIPS OF VELCRO FOR THE CENTER, that is how it is held up. Forget this and it may droop a bit in the center!!!!! :eek: My velcro was shot and no longer strong enough to do anything. :rolleyes:
Charles
Are you sure somebody wasn't in there before you and made a velcro repair?

I have done two headliners one with sun roof and one without and neither car had velcro under headliners.

Headliner material has foam backing and is glued to backing board.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about your mention of Velcro, and I didn't see any hint of this when we pulled my son's '92S headliner some days ago. I'm thinking of getting this re-covered and doing the round robin swap through the four street-worthy 164s we'll soon have.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The velcro looked original. It was installed between the metal roof and the formed backing board. It was bonded and stapled like it was original and the headliner material was original (thinner foam than what I replaced it with). Could be that some have it and some don't?
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Oh, oh, now I see what you are saying. I thought you meant between headliner fabric and backing board not between backing board and metal roof, sorry. I think mine was OK.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I love the S seats, i just swapped the tan seats out of my S for some black ones. so now i have black seats with tan carpet and door panels.
Too funny - my plan is to go with anthracite carpet with my tan S seats - basically the opposite of yours! :D

I'll probably go with the tan door panels since I have them - currently cloth as matched to the original cloth B seats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts