Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, you see these two cars ... see that expression ...
... they seem to smile when the sun came out after 57 years ...
The two cars were purchased new in 1912 and 1915 by Mr. De Leonardi, hidden during the war and came up to us after a long stay 57anni the dark of the sun. Now, after a careful and thorough cleaning and inspection will begin a new life around to enjoy even be seen together with other already my SCAT 20/30hp Sport Torpedo :) :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only preserved

Only preserved as they were found ... have never seen a bodybuilder do upholsterer ... a nice coat of Vaseline all over the seats and paint and then will go to inspect the engine ..

·
Registered
607 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you find these 2 beautiful "museum cars"?
SCATs are very rare even in Italy.
This is my other S.C.A.T. Sport 20/30hp torpedo body "Locati and Viarengo Torino" what do you think all 3 are doing well together ..
Ascolta
Trascrizione fonetica

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I think you owns almost the production survived....
I saw a Locati e Viarengo torpedo only in the books.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
This was the SCAT plant in p.za Rivoli 4 at Turin, built in 1913. The RIV moved his production here during the WWII. Actually is a military barracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
To those who don't know the history, Giovanni and Ernesto Cierano started importing bicycles from England, and then constructing their own "Welleyes" bicycles, in the Lancia family stables in the late 1800s, with Vincenzo Lancia ostensibly working as an accountant, but in reality involved with engineering and design. Production of voiturette motor cars followed. Following the sellout to FIAT (the first Welleyes, a 3.5HP, became the first FIAT) in 1899, the Cierano brothers produced a variety of cars under various names, including Rapid, SCAT, and STAR. Vincenzo Lancia stayed with FIAT, forming his own company in 1906. His first car was completed in 1908.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
S.C.A.T. = Societa Ceirano Automobili Torino

Thanks to "Epocamen" for sharing! You've made me wish to do some more digging through my files but this is not possible at the moment.

This company apparently existed in name from 1905 to 1932 when it became absorbed into S.P.A.

A few SCAT cars have been identified worldwide but "Epocamen" now seems to have a good percentage of the known survivors. It would be nice to learn more about each of the cars!

Here is a brief listing about what I have collected thus far in the computer about each of the known SCAT cars. More can be added to the listing even now but my files are two-hours drive away. Obviously, there is the possibility of some duplication in this listing as not enough is known about each of the cars.

A "1906 SCAT" has been in England for many years.

A "1907 SCAT" has been in England for many years.

A "1910" "22/32HP" chassis with engine and gearbox N. 56 is in the Biscaretti museum in Torino. The Museo also has a "1926 " Ceirano 150S N. 4528 with motore N. 2558.

A "1910 Tourer N. 105" was auctioned 1990 by Sotheby's in Melbourne, Australia.

A "1913 Sport Tourer" was auctioned 1974 in Califorina.

A "1914" 18HP torpedo Solaro (Tipo 14-1 N. 2878, motore N. 182) is in the Museo Quattroruote at Rozzano near Milan.

A "Tipo 22-5 N. 4019 (aka 30-40HP) was in Australia as of a few years ago.

A "1917" (year uncertain) car was owned by the grandfather of a guy I've corresponded with in Norway. There is no indication that the car still exists.

I found a note somewhere that 49 SCAT automobiles were registered 1917 in New South Wales.

Some SCAT parts were offered 1983 in Hemming Motor News.

More details can be shared and more details can certainly be dug out of various files. More research should definitely be done!

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I send you photos of my personal museum where I placed all three SCAT starting from right to left, the little cream and a 2100cc 20hp, the Green is a 20/30hp Sport 3000cc, and the great 25/35hp Amaranth is a 4700cc.
They are truly beautiful ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts