Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the differences are between the S afm and the B/L afms? I notice that the eper lists both:

B,L afm 60513206
S afm 60550042

but the S afm listing is Xed out, implying that the B/L afm is to be used if an S afm is needed. A note in the eper says that the S unit is out of production, none in stock.

Will that make a noticeable difference?

thanks,

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I have this situation on my cars Del. I discovered after getting Red that Blackie had an 'L' AFM (maybe due to NLA situation) I have switched the two between both cars and have not for the life of me been able to notice any difference at all. The 'S' AFM is a larger diameter but the throttle bodies are both same diameter iirc so really can't see how it would make a difference. Switching to an 'L' AFM will require a different intake boot though.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Paul, how did you handle the different pinouts wiring as described in the reference posts Richard has brought up?

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Anyone know what the differences are between the S afm and the B/L afms? I notice that the eper lists both:

B,L afm 60513206
S afm 60550042

but the S afm listing is Xed out, implying that the B/L afm is to be used if an S afm is needed. A note in the eper says that the S unit is out of production, none in stock.

Will that make a noticeable difference?

thanks,

S AFM is larger and is a 4 wire AFM, B/L is smaller and a 5 wire AFM. Boots to match size. They cannot be interchanged without pulling wires from harness and moving them into proper position. That said, you can use a S on a B/L but not vice versa because the S does not have the 5th wire (ground from memory). O

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Thanks guys. Paul, how did you handle the different pinouts wiring as described in the reference posts Richard has brought up?
I'd have to go back and re-read my own stuff but as I remember the extra wire goes to pin 30 on the Motronic ECU and is for a CO potentiometer that (at least on US 'S' models with o2 sensor) is not used. At least that's what I came up with when troubleshooting my smog test issues. I did no wiring mods, both cars run identical and both passed California smog tests.

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's good to hear. Reason I asked is that a guy has a good but used B,L afm he wants to get rid of for little. Thought I might pick it up as a spare seeing as how there are very few S afms around, esp at a reasonable cost. Can't have too many spares you know.

thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts