Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would first like to say hello to my new friends.

I have a 75 Spider with a really really needs to be replaced frame. I have found a 86 veloce spider , I would like to use as a donor, Are there any users who have pulled both bodies and is their actually any real difference between the to frames.

now before I get bombarded with just put the 75 body on the 86 chasis, I have great sentimental attachment to the vehicle and am willing to do the swap over. My main goal is to keep the 75 in as "stock" condition as possible , without having to build a custom frame or be stuck with a 75 frame that will cause me the same headache down the road.

Suggestions and Advice please. Your friend in Utah

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There is no frame on the spiders as they are unit/unibody construction. (the closest thing you'll find to a 'frame' are the two arms that connect to the firewall and go down either side of the engine)

There is no 'frame off' restoration. You gut the car and deal with the whole chassis in one piece.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou

Thank you

This is good news, I have two more questions. Is there a company that makes repro floor pans for a 75 spider and if not, what years can I cut a donor part from that has the same box channel. I appreciate this greatly.

I was under the impression the 75 had a frame, But since it is unibody, the mec must be talking about the box channel. This is wonderful news.
Thankyou , simple cut and weld. Hopefully only one cut for a aftermarket repro.:)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
You're much better off finding a good example with little rust and using the old car as a parts donor. The series 2a cars can be bought very reasonably in good condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Input

:) Thanks, What is the difference of the old part donor and a new repro.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
:) Thanks, What is the difference of the old part donor and a new repro.
I think what John is saying is that if you have a badly rusted '75, it is a lot of work and money to get it back to a workable state. This is especially the case is the rockers are gone. So I think he suggests it is better/cheaper to find a Spider in better shape and use parts off the '75 as needed. I think he's right.....unless you have all the time, and can fabricate everything yourself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou, Are the after market pans and rockers inferior. I have found a number of companies that offer such items, Has anyone had problems with them in the past and also, has anyone used the " frame stiffner device" I have seen advertised.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Thankyou, Are the after market pans and rockers inferior. I have found a number of companies that offer such items, Has anyone had problems with them in the past and also, has anyone used the " frame stiffner device" I have seen advertised.
I think there's plenty of good stuff out there....good stuff does not come cheap though, and it's a lot of work.....it's all a matter of making the economics work, or accept the fact that it's a labor of love saving an Alfa!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the Help

:) It is spectactular the power of the forums. I will go with the new stuff,and post some pics of the process, for other in the same position as me
;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts