Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what some people think. I have an 89 Quad and I pulled the old carpet to discover a couple of nice old holes in my floor pan. I got sidetracked by a leaky heater core but am now ready to get the floor pan issue fixed. Question is would it be better to replace the whole pan or just patch in the sections that are rotted after I've cleared out all the rust? Hopefully the picture I attached will show up.

Thanks to all, in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...and looks like that would cover the hole by the gas pedal as well. Also a heck of a lot cheaper than the one offered by IAP.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Except for the rusted out areas, it looks to me as if the rest of the floor pan is pretty solid. If it was me, I'd just cut out the rust and weld in some patches. It will be a lot easier than cutting out the whole floor. I just went through this on my Spider, and I was a little surprised at what a PIA job it was to cut and match larger panels for the floor pan.

Best regards,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Monsai52 that's why I posted here. Aside from the obvious holes there is zero rust on the pan. The p.o. made some exhaust adjustments which is why you see the o2 sensor butting out of the hole by the gas pedal. That will need to be moved. A friend of mine is helping me with the welding. He suggested patching it. Another friend who has done some frame off restorations of Corvettes and has experience welding as well has suggested replacing the whole pan.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,238 Posts
chip out all the aspaht sound deading, then wire brush the floor really well, it looks worse than it might be... do yourself a favor, chip out both side of the sound deading stuff.. easy to do.. i just heated mine up with a propane torch.. ( not burning it, just get it warm) and use a 1" paint scraper, will come off easy.. about 1 hour work this way... clean the rust out repai as ness, the por 15 the floor..

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
how mine turned out,, before / after.. the cut aways ( no seat rail mounting points) are to lower my seat further down.. also using mazda maita seat..i sit nice and low now( i am 6' tall) i see out of the centre of the windsheild, just over the sterring wheel( eye level) now.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
the cracks in the sound deadning, allow water to get in, and start the rusting the floor.. after you clean and por 15 the floor, then you can use any sound deading stuff that you like.. also on those drain plug area.. go to a pick and pull( or what ever you have around you) and find some rubber plugs that will fit in better than the alfa metal ones,, then drill a couple small holes in the rubber pugs ( 1/16" ) will do fine, they well self seal, but allow the water to drian out,, got mine off a honda accord.. and do not glue the foam mat/ or what ever is below the carpet, to the floor, glue it to the rug.. this way water can get out of the car easyer, and if you have to afet the car gets really wet, you can easly lift the rug, and let it air dry.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
pan replacement

I did the whole replacement for mine and I would do it that way again. When you remove the old pan you will have full access to the reinforcement channel under the floor. I bet it will be rusty, mine was even if my pan was not very rusty.

Electrical wiring Subcompact car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts