Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long hiatus I have restarted work on my '66 Duetto.
It's now sitting, able to be spun with one hand in a hoop rotisserie I built from ideas in here and over at thesamba.com
I'm concentrating on replacing the floors first now that I've removed most everything else.

My question to those with metal experience is: should I cut out the corrosion shown here either patching in a new metal (replacing all the sills is an option I'm considering, but obviously quite traumatic for the car) or simply treat it and move on. It's not particularly deep.

Interested in peoples thoughts.

I have amassed over the last few years the following new or repro items; all four floors, two rear parcel floors, the outer sills, front wings, complete correct nose and bump, bonnet, complete early rad structure and some rear repair patches for the rear arches. I have also found a perfect bootlid/trunk. There's not much of this car that won't be replaced if I'm honest :)

My original intention was to repair by replacement any panel that had been patched or was rusty over the ages, however some are just not available and I will have to recreate.

Do you think given all the other new bits I should just jump in and replace all the sills, or just patch these??
The ends outside on both sides will need recreating as they're toast (at the front especially)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Craig, I guess I have two options on this and both are perfectly reasonable. The first option would be to see if you can grind away as much of the surface rust and treat what remains, coating thereafter say with Por15. My reservation with this is can you be sure you have got rid of all the rust.

The qualifier to this approach is just how deep the rust has penetrated the metal.

The alternative, as you have recognised is to cut out and replace the last sections of the cills. Given the extent of the restoration you are undertaking on the spider and the new panels you have already acquired, it could in the end be the better option, for at least you could be certain you have got rid of all the rust.

Either way, it certainly needs to be tackled. All the best with it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Can't stop rust. You can only slow it down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What do you want to car to be? High end restoration or a nice restoration? High end, it has to go. For the other, I would see what is inside the outer sills. If they are not totally eaten up, go with it. If you do take them out, you will have to jig it on something more stable than a rotisserie. Getting it driving again is probably better than thinking you can go Pebble Beach on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts