Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 GTV6 goes in for body rust repair and respray end of the week. The shop that is doing it takes in one "classic" each winter to finish by spring. I have seen some of their very lovely work on two Healey 100s, one white on navy blue the other navy on white. Sweet lil' things!
I'll post photos of finished product.

8oclock

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes please details, details, details! I have been agonizing over taking on this issue with my 82 GTV6 and the cost/ ability to get this done right. If you don't mind me asking, What kind of price did you get for what work?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rust Repair and Respray

$5k range to start. Car has much less rust than most. Only sat out consistently under cover for 9 years, not a daily driver since 1989 so little salt rain etc. Rockers area behind rear splash panels on front fenders (wings) will be replaced, no other deterioration in rocker areas; small perforation near plastic drain plug in spare tire well; minor repair on one spot under rear window mount strip; minor rust, top of front passenger side wheel well; minor rust behind front end plastic grill passenger side. This will not be a bare metal respray, good driver quality only. I already have one car with "show quality" paint that freaks me out every time I drive it. The guy was completely tuned in on the cost, value of car equation but dug the car and in fact that I have driven it for 28 years.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I really look forward to seeing the pictures, I have my hands full with just putting back everything I re-did. But I also fixed 4 spots of rust in the engine bay. Since the engine is still out it was easier, however I lucked out with finding a replacement Radiator support.
Best regards my friend.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I spent about $5 on a car in similar condition. It's not great, but it's good enough for a car that'll never be worth more than I've put into it. Besides, it's meant to be driven, not looked at!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At Least It Will Be One Color

I hoping for a bit better than not great but we shall see. Besides the slight visible rust that I mentioned the biggest issue is sun fading over time. She has sat many a day in hot summer parking lots so having it all one color again will be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Few Shop Photos

Like I said in prior post, not a bare metal respray. Rust behind front wheels and other miscellaneous spots fixed, front and rear bumpers painted as well as the "tea tray"; wine glass alloys painted as well, a tick or two brighter but still mat. Finished product photos as weather allows.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTV 6 29.5 Years On

Here are some quick snaps of the GTV6 after its rust repair/repray done just outside of fabulous Mount Joy, Pennsylvania by a crew of 4 in 2 weeks. We picked it up about 5 pm, ran back to Arlington ahead of ugly winter mix today so not much chance to do some better quality pixs. Car still needs a good wipe-down and some detailing but this is one fine paint job, looks just as good up close! I'll hit some AROC club events with both Alfettas this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks good.

How did you find the shop? What convinced you to give them the job?

Did they quote the job or do it as "time and material"?

Shops in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties out here in California are getting $95 an hour for this type of work.

Bob

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Home County Deal

It was a friend of a friend referral deal, actually brother of a friend from my home county Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The brother has been a client that has had several cars restored to Nth degree. I saw photos of the cars, knew that he expected the best. You know we’re talking about “Pennsylvania Dutch Country” here, honest work, honest pay kind of tradition. As it turns out the shop owner, my friends and I all went to high school together, year or so apart. That’s how it works in some parts round the globe.

I took the car to have him look at it last fall, we all seemed like good people, no BS, well maybe some, the shop is in former dairy cow stall portion of a 100+ year old bank barn. He gave me a handshake ballpark estimate, agreed with me on all the things I pointed out needed attention. As I noted before he had a complete sense of value to price equation for this car. Then I followed up, called him back when I said I would, got the car to him when he wanted it, ordered and shipped the repair panels, badges, etc to him on time, paid cash with stacks of 100’s and got a discount as a result.

The shop owner did a lot of extra work. In addition to all the rust repair using repair pieces I provided, he spent lots of extra time skimming out all the existing panels, painted the alloys, stripped and painted some window trim, painted the bumpers and some other plastic bits. And yes, its genuine Alfa Rosso Corsa. Said its not a big deal getting the color right, if you can bring the code up on the computer, the supplier ships the accurate pigment in a couple of days. Ain’t alchemy these days

I can send a private message to you with a referral but time and distance might be a factor.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I lived in Downingtown for a while and I agree with your assessment of the work ethics found in the area.

There was a shop just outside Pottstown that did the bodywork and painting of a couple of of cars for me. Honest beyond belief. I contacted them recently about possibly working on my Alfa and I was told that Reggie, the owner, decided to hang it up about four years ago. He was 92.

I get out to Pennsylvania about once a year for work and to see relatives. Driving an Alfa across country to get a bit of body work done on it is something I'd consider.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts