Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is kind of an open ended question. But there is the red 73 on the classifieds in Wyoming that looks like a pretty good deal. Seems like it has some rust bubbles around the back window and some in the front fenders that are starting to bubble. A few undercarriage pictures are also shown, but jack points seem to look ok.

Assuming that one was happy with a decent driver quality paint job, how much would one be looking at to fix the rust and 10 foot paint. $6500 is a really good price, and the interior and mechanical I can do myself.

thanks for any insight.

Len

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
it would cost less than the cost of a good mig welder and doing it yourself, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I'd never welded any sheet metal before I got mine and they are easy to use and actually kinda fun. Whatever it looks like on the outside hours wise to repair you can multiply that by at least 5 maybe more to get close to the actual time it will take. good luck!
look at the threads in the restoration section and see what us amaters have done, especially the rusty floorboards thread, he has done great work. Just don't get in a hurry, take your time and you will be amazed at what you can do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
......Just don't get in a hurry, take your time and you will be amazed at what you can do.
Never a truer word!

For me the welding was actually the easy bit! What is more difficult is ensuring your get the alignments spot on. Oh , and I hate grinding!!!!

Matt

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,887 Posts
Unfortunately, as you probably already know, asking how much it is likely to cost for rust repairs is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. One never knows until you cut away exactly what you will find and this is why most of us end up doing a resto ourselves- we simply couldn`t afford a cheque book restoration. As a rule the professionals don`t over charge it is just that it takes so long and there is just so much work involved which escalate costs. If you are practical have a go yourself- very few of us are pro panel beaters/ body fabricators here but we have learnt through practice and the help of this forum and other sites. It is very satisfying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts