Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from looking at a 1977 Alfetta here in New Mexico. It's advertised as a "Project Car", which it is; comes with an extra 2 liter engine (stored outside under a tarp), although as I pointed out to the seller's father, it's from a Spider, and a Bosch engine at that.

The car has been sitting where it currently is for three years, supposed ran, and then was "stripped for paint" Everything that was pulled off appears to be inside of the car, the engine appears to be complete, but rodents have made a mess of the engine wiring harness, and who know what else! The interior parts are pretty trashed.

The best part is that the body is rust-free and straight with a few minor door dings, and Cromodora wheels.

The owner who is currently in California, is asking $700, which I think is way too much for what it is. The father kept telling me that he wants his son's "projects" off of his property; Porsche 944, BMW 2002, '70s 6 series, 911s, etc. I guess the son convinced pop to build a really huge metal shop, wired and set up for auto work, but then the son filled that with more projects!

What would you pay for this? I don't see this as a restoration, but built as a modified Alfetta. Oh, by the way, I drive a '83 Spider so this would be something different.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Free to $200?

If you want it, get it. When you are done the $500 to $700 acquisistion price will not change the final number by much. The good body will save you at least the purchase price in body repair.

Still the best rule of thumb, buy the best one you can find.

Good Luck,
Wayne

·
Registered
296 Posts
A straight rust free Alfetta GT is a pretty rare thing. Most have by now rusted away completely. I would love to see this car saved and restored, on someone else's dime of course.

Will he take $500? The wheels are probably worth that (to the right buyer).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Solid Alfetta

Grab it! I spent over 6K to get my 79 to be ,from what I can tell, as straight as the one pictured. (granted with some custom work).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all of your opinions!

I was thinking of offering $200 and go from there. Yesterday I told the father that it's not worth the $700 he bought it for, mainly because it's not the same car as three years ago, due to taking apart the car, unknown condition of the engine (despite the ran before parking statement), and rodent damage.

I will call him today and see if he will go for it. If not, I will see what he wants for the '80 Bosch injected engine, as I can use that as an extra engine for my '83 Spider. Right now I am committed to buy a '74 Spider for parts after three months of going back and forth about looking at it, and negotiating a final price.

Here are some more photos. You can see on the two partial side views that the owner circled a couple of dings to be filled. I guess "stripping for painting" only meant removing the trim, and spraying over the existing paint! Black appears to be the original color judging by the door inner panels being black.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
In present state I would say less than $500, but John B is right, the Daytona wheels are desirable and hard to come by....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that rear valance panel bulge U.S. models only or worldwide?

·
Registered
991 Posts
My '79 has that bulge too. Spare hatches are easy-ish to get - I have an extra from my car's body restoration, which I don't believe has any rust. The fewer rust and dents you have on the rest of the body, the better... not that it was a rational decision, but I'm just going through body restoration and even though it was very solid for an alfetta, all the little rust spots and dings/dents added up quickly. Of course, you'll save a lot if you just go cheap & cheerful. For reference, my running, intact car needing some minor work to be reliable was only $250.

BTW, an '80 engine would be SPICA-injected, so make sure he's selling what he thinks he's selling. Good luck with the purchase!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I think that car is worth saving. A straight mostly rust free Alfetta is rare. The Alfettas are wonderful cars, and that one has nice wheels.

Greg

·
Registered
606 Posts
Worth saving for sure, a complete restoration probject, I agree with above, rust free and straight body will save you hundreds of $! Go for it.

ncng

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried calling the owner earlier this afternoon, but so far no answer or return call as of yet.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I was thinking of offering $200 and go from there. Yesterday I told the father that it's not worth the $700 he bought it for, mainly because it's not the same car as three years ago, due to taking apart the car, unknown condition of the engine (despite the ran before parking statement), and rodent damage.
Yes, that's one of my pet peeves. People don't realize that when they buy a project car and start randomly pulling it apart they've devalued the car by at least 50% with 10 hrs. of work. In an awful lot of cases they've virtually assured that the car will never, ever be driven again. Hopefully not the case with this one!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Blink your eyes and you see a very close comparo to the Ferrari GT4 design model. this primarily referrs to pic #1
Jerry,

I don't see the Ferrari 308 GT4 at all in the Alfetta GT, how about others?

That Ferrari was done by Bertone, the Alfa was done by Giugiaro.

My thoughts,

ncng

·
Registered
156 Posts
Image ,design and style review

Place a profile of each side by side to see what I see. Can you tell the difference? :For example, the design variation between 5 different brands and designs of Italian shoes or handbags These trends follow each other and are ,at some point, very similar or completely different. How , then would you judge the difference?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The question I would ask is what would you pay for a good, clean, straight, rust free shell if it was stripped, undercoated and ready to build up. More than $500 I bet.

The problem with so many 'good' cars is that the problems are hidden. At least with something like this you can see and check all the normal problem areas.

I'd be looking hard at the sills, the front skirts, the front wheel arches, the scuttle and so on.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I know that design dynamics are altered and changed to please the the person in review. Interpret the elements to meet your approval.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The question I would ask is what would you pay for a good, clean, straight, rust free shell if it was stripped, undercoated and ready to build up. More than $500 I bet.

The problem with so many 'good' cars is that the problems are hidden. At least with something like this you can see and check all the normal problem areas.

I'd be looking hard at the sills, the front skirts, the front wheel arches, the scuttle and so on.
Good points,

Somebody has probably done this, but what are the top Alfetta GT "rust" spots,

1) Front Shock Towers,
2) Rear Hatch Area
3) Lower Rear Side Panels?

Thoughts?

ncng

1 - 20 of 38 Posts