Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for some input for those who know bodywork/paint?
This super was blasted, sealed, primered and painted.
Now, 6 mos later this is what we’re getting at the seams. Thoughts? I know it’s not great, but how would you handle moving forward???

Thanks in advance!
Chase

Liquid Window Wood Tints and shades Linens

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Rim Metal Auto part Aluminium

• Sad
Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Oy. As Neil Young said, rust never sleeps. It will only get worse. Time to have a frank discussion with your paint shop.

Reactions: dmericas

·
Registered
425 Posts
What was it blasted with? It appears that the blasting got places where the sealer and paint did not. One reason not to blast complete cars. Did any of these areas have body caulking before blasting? Wow, I would not be happy!

·
Administrator
17,085 Posts
What was it blasted with? It appears that the blasting got places where the sealer and paint did not. One reason not to blast complete cars. Did any of these areas have body caulking before blasting? Wow, I would not be happy!
Not sure how you could blast where you could not paint, but yeah how else could this happen.

Are we sure this shell was not dipped?
Pete

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oy. As Neil Young said, rust never sleeps. It will only get worse. Time to have a frank discussion with your paint shop.
Yeah, I’m waiting on a call back. Not fun.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not positive what it was blasted with. It has been a while. No caulking that I know of. Did these cars have caulking? Not happy is an understatement. This is a 1/100 piece of the puzzle. Just trying to figure out how to move forward.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
It's all in the prep. I've had bubbling in places work was done within months of painting. So you might want to go have a talk with your shop, if you paid for this work.
Andrew

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all in the prep. I've had bubbling in places work was done within months of painting. So you might want to go have a talk with your shop, if you paid for this work.
Andrew
Yeah, waiting on the call back. It’s a disaster.

Reference potential cavity grease, my mechanic who has the car now is doubtful as it’s up high in seams as well. And it hasn’t been that warm since we’ve had the car. Three people who did the work on the car have seen the pics and not one of them have said, ‘that’s just the color of cavity grease we use’. So I’m doubtful. But I suppose possible.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So what is the remedy? Re-blast all the seams and reseal and repaint?
First do the test with a rust converter to see if the "smudge" becomes black (and contains iron oxide aka rust).

If the shop declared that they used cavity grease, it's probably that... as stated before, in the beginning it leaks out if you park your car in a heated garage.

If no cavity grease has been applied yet, applying it now in this stage will stop further corrosion.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First do the test with a rust converter to see if the "smudge" becomes black (and contains iron oxide aka rust).

If the shop declared that they used cavity grease, it's probably that... as stated before, in the beginning it leaks out if you park your car in a heated garage.

If no cavity grease has been applied yet, applying it now in this stage will stop further corrosion.
Working on the hard confirmation here.

Reactions: Koenraad

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cavity grease (Waxoil is one) will only work where it can get to. The problem appears to be inside of the cavities so application from outside will not get to the problem area. You may have to drill holes to access inside of the areas for application. Or you can try Frame Saver which is a bicycle product for steel frames. It has a spray can tube so you can get deep into things. Remember if you use any of these products they tend to be ignitable if you weld near it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cavity grease (Waxoil is one) will only work where it can get to. The problem appears to be inside of the cavities so application from outside will not get to the problem area. You may have to drill holes to access inside of the areas for application. Or you can try Frame Saver which is a bicycle product for steel frames. It has a spray can tube so you can get deep into things. Remember if you use any of these products they tend to be ignitable if you weld near it.
Thanks! This shop was supposed to have used cavity grease everywhere to make it better than new.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
Oh, sad. Hope it is just the grease, not rust.

Sort of reminds me of what happened to a friend with a Ferrari. Had it repainted red, and it turned out beautiful, so while the shop was waiting for the paint to set, they opened up a bottle of champagne. The cork popped out and the champagne spewed out all over the car, and put speckles in the finish all over the car. They had to repaint it. Then, a few months later, the paint started to wrinkle. Turns out they used too much paint and as it finally cured in the sun, the thick paint started to wrinkle badly. It probably would have taken a wet sanding and buffing I suppose to fix that. He sold the car cheap. I could have had it for 3k but I passed. It did run great, well taken care of otherwise.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That looks like it could be oil or wax based rust protector, waxoyl or dinitrol type substances. It's not unusual for a bit to leak out of seams when the car gets hot when newly applied. If so it just needs wiping away carefully with a suitable solvent. For some reason it's very close to the color of actual rust which can lead to the sort of stress you are experiencing. If it is, that's good news because it means whoever did work actually took care to prevent rust.

If it's rust that would be annoying but don't necessarily panic yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you have major issues. The rust coming through is just one of the problems. There appear to be runs in the paint; very poor body work; and to me that looks as if the "blasting", if any was actually done, was far from adequate. Bear in mind that blasting will usually NOT get into seams well, so they must be chemically treated and sealed. I believe you will have to start over entirely with a shop that isn't trying to skin you. Get an attorney.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts