Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a few weeks ago and I'm now afraid to take any drives.

Car drove perfect for over an hour. I then felt a very brief "blip", loss of power. It was so brief I wasn't sure it even happened. The car continued to run perfect for another 1/2 hour and then another very brief loss of gas pedal, but rpm's stayed up. 20 minutes later another loss of power but this time rpm's dropped and continued to drop as if the car was out of gas, yet there was more than 1/2 tank. I rolled to a safe place on roadside. The engine started right up and idled well. When I pressed the gas pedal, to slightly rev the engine, it died immediately. It started up several more times but would only idle ... then would crank only and not start. All fluids were good and temperature gauge showed good temp and fuses were good. I made the AAA call and got the car home. The next morning the car started perfect. I took a short drive on the highway with no problems.

As always, intermittent problems are the worst to figure out. I'm hoping this is an issue/sympton one of you is familiar with. Fuel related or electrical? Maybe something with heat, temperature or expansion since it drove fine for an hour before first "blip"? Perhaps a grounding issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check fuel pump relays.
Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,
Well, the relays are working now. Is it a common issue that a relay would stop working and then start working again?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Duluth,
Check that long black ribbed tube that runs across the top of the engine. It may have come loose on one side or the other and slips off momentarily causing the engine to stall. Alfas don't like false air entering where it should be tight. Usually caused by bad motor mounts letting the motor rock too much during hard acceleration or down shifting, which will pull the end of the rubber hose off its attachment.
Don
86 Spider

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I had the same trouble with '87 after testing all could think of till I bit the bullet spent the $95.00 included shipping. Runes fine now... AR 4CYL 82-89 COMBI RELAY (B-06F5) @IAP

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
When the engine dies, take note of what the tach does. If it drops to zero, suspect ignition, if not, suspect fuel.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
Did you ever figure out the problem? My car did the same thing last night. The only difference was that after she stalled, it started right back up and no problem on the rest of the drive. I also drove it this morning and she was fine. Papajam, the tach was dropping, but slowly-it did not drop right to zero. The engine was still running, but when I would hit the gas pedal, it would bog out. I was thinking the alternator. I had the radio on, my radar detector on, and the heater fan switch. I remember last year the radio at higher volumes would make my alt light flicker and there was a blip of power loss.
I tightened the alt belt and thought all was good. Last night I checked the alt, with the engine running and the volts were at 13.6. With the lights on, radio on, and radar on the volts dropped to 12.4
Any ideas.

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
I checked the alt, with the engine running and the volts were at 13.6. With the lights on, radio on, and radar on the volts dropped to 12.4
If those measurements were done at idle speed, try it again with the engine at about 2000 rpm. The alternator may not be moving fast enough at idle speed.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If those measurements were done at idle speed, try it again with the engine at about 2000 rpm. The alternator may not be moving fast enough at idle speed.
Yes this was at idle speed. What wold be considered adequate ? The shop manual that I have says to disconnect the red wire from the power box, and test the amperage. I have always teeted the charging ciruit by reading the voltage at idle. What should I want to see in terms of voltage at 2k RPM and the lights/radar/radio on? What about the same test with only the lights on?
Does anyone know of a proper procedure?:eek:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Clean fuses and fuse panel contact. check fuse holder for your fuel pump (under package shelf). I had a terrible problem for years with my 84 running great and then leaving me stranded...then starting and running great! I had a bad wire behind my fuse panel that I was very lucky to eventually find and repair.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Clean fuses and fuse panel contact. check fuse holder for your fuel pump (under package shelf). I had a terrible problem for years with my 84 running great and then leaving me stranded...then starting and running great! I had a bad wire behind my fuse panel that I was very lucky to eventually find and repair.
I will check that out. Funny I just did some wiring work , behind the main fuse panel. Wonder if something came a bit loose
Thx..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Duluth,
Did you ever identify what the problem was? i have an 88 Spider behaving the same way. Every month or so she has an episode like this. Quite spooky in traffic.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts