Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV Serie 1 US specs 1969
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
when the car is cold it starts with little issue, with no throttle car runs. As soon as I hit the accel engine stops like too rich. Once 100F I can carefully hit the gas pedal. when engine is hot then no issue even if I really have to crank it to get it runs. Some backfire.
Now if I stop for a few minutes (ignition off) and then starts again I have a very very low rpm but acceleration is perfect, engine goes to high rpm with no hesitation.
Plugs are new (and already black which makes me think it is running too rich...). Cables and coil start are new.
Could this be a TA related issue? or Barometric Compensator? or something else?
Thanks for you help.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Black plugs is rich without a doubt...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
...Could this be a TA related issue? or Barometric Compensator? or something else?
Thanks for you help.
Yes to all of your questions. Unfortunately, a lot more information is needed to help troubleshoot your problem.
Is this a new problem or have you always had this issue? Is the car new to you?
When and what was the last adjustment made in the FI system?
What checks or tests have you made so far to verify the pump gap, TA extension (hot vs cold), cold start solenoid operation, SPICA timing, etc.
Have you read or have access to Wes Ingram’s SPICA manual pr AROC Tech Notes?

Without a more comprehensive understanding of your car, it‘d be a guess as to what your real issue is. The last thing you want to do is to start chasing symptoms and making adjustments without a validating you’re starting point (Proper timing, pump gap, TA operation/extension, CSS operation, etc.). Do you know how to perform these checks?

Just saw this... This new post is related to your old post:

Your dealing with a system, and the components are all inter related in some fashion. You need to make sure the initial set up is correct before trying to perform further adjustments. That’s why checking your timing, pump gap, TA operation etc, are important. There is plenty of information available on the SPICA system from the likes of Wes Ingram Pat Braden, AROC Tech Manuals, etc. Best to educate yourself on the materials and/or find a recommended Alfa mechanic experienced in SPICA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts