Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 164L 213,000 miles. The engine starts well when cold but begins to run rough as it warms up, you need to keep the RPM's up so that it doesn't stall, if it does stall it will not restart if the engine is warm.

This car is at my brother's house 50 miles away. Any suggestions as to what to bring with me for diagnosis and repair?

Thanks, Rick

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
Most likely culprit is an air leak somewhere.

Download the instructions from the BB for the list of check engine codes and how to pull them.

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Once engine warms up, I would have him disconnect that hidden coolant temp sensor Bosch connector in mid thermostat housing (not the one next to timing belt cover) and see if engine smooths out. If so sensor has to much resistance when hot.

Does he have a check engine light? Did he check for codes?

Also check connection to air flow meter and corragated hose for cracks.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got to work on this car, it hasn't run since October 2014. First I checked the corrugated hose for leaks, it was OK. Next I removed the spark plugs, 2 plugs were fouled, #2 cyl was bad, #3 cyl was very bad. I installed six new Champion 415. I checked plug wire resistance, and rotor resistance, all OK. Put it back together, the engine started immediately and ran fine, I guess it was the plugs, there were about 10,000 miles on the fouled plugs, this engine burns about 1 quart of oil per 600 miles.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
I find the NGK Iridiums are worth the extra cost, as they stay clean and last thousands of miles (I also add Techron every 3-4th filling as well). They work fine in my 91S which consumes about a qt every 250-300 miles city driving, ~400 miles steady state highway. Has always done that since I bought it 135k miles ago in 94, now with 176k miles.

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
For a set of plugs the car sat for over 6 months?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts