Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG !!! On the Corvette Forum I ran across their 5 Rules of Corvette Etiquette.
Please review them before reading any further. We will wait for you. . .
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-tos/slideshows/corvette-etiquette-photos-494332#1-the-wave
OK. I am embarrassed that I do not know if we have such Etiquette rules.
Perhaps this is something that should be discussed. Perhaps this is worthy of bringing up at the Palm Springs retreat in a few weeks.
Any comments or suggestions??
Oh, I think their #4 Top Down when the temp rises above 77deg is great.
1. The Wave
2. Brief Conversation
3. Classic Corvettes
4. Top Down
5. Drag Race

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
I like their rule about you are not permitted to race say a Honda Civic ... real reason of course is you will likely lose. Lol
Pete

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Wave

The Wave is how our chapter, AROSC, got started back in the '60s. 2 Giuletta owners waved and pulled over. Started comparing notes: "What problems do you have", "Who do you go to for service, or where to avoid for service".
Then another one waved, then another. Time to start a club.
Not a bad idea The Wave.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
I wave when I'm in the 156 when I see another Alfa. If that other Alfa is a 156 I often get a wave back :)

Pete

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I wave at Alfa's when I'm riding my motorcycle. Drivers usually give me a strange look first with a hesitant wave back.
Of course I'm waving for mine sitting in the garage being patient.:yawn:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Conversation and Classics

Conversation:
I know that almost all Alfa owners I meet in at the market, burger joint, etc always want/need to have at least some short conversation.
But then whenever I see a "cool car" (57 Chevy, patina preserved pickup, etc) I will try to chat up the owner, at least for a minute or so.
Classics:
Well we all drive "classics"

·
Registered
452 Posts
I often give a wave or headlight blink to any old crock I meet, foreign or domestic. I usually get a positive response. Us geezers seem to have bond.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
I got a headlight flashback from a Black Giulia owner the day after I flashed him in my black 164. I think is was the same color car that did it for him!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I wanted to revive this to ask a question, but first:
over the Holidays my wife's cousin got a new company car, a Stelvio. She loved the car, loved the power, loved the handling but HATED the "Stupid Shamrock". Neither she nor the car was Irish, so WHY? I gave her a brief history of the Quadrifoglio on Alfas.

Question: Shouldn't dealers or sales people clue new buyers into the etiquette and history? If I remember correctly, back in the eighties, some info on AROC used to be given to the new owners. And of course they (we) used to get copies of Quadrifoglio magazine. I suspect mailing a 4 color magazine to every buyer is not in the ad budget these days, but at least a sheet of paper with AROC and ALFABB info! Porsche and Jeep had entire print campaigns on the Porsche or Jeep Wave or has that concept become passe?
Should we start a movement? Or is that passe too?
I remain,
an annoying old man in an annoying old car.
and who the heck puts the top down in January?
Lou

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Wave: I always wave to other Alfas if I'm in my Spider. Newer Alfa owners tend to be oblivious. And quite often, if I pass a TR6, MGB, or other older European sports car going the other way, we each wave and give a nod of appreciation.

Top down: Unfortunately my poor Spider has been laid up for three years due more to a lack of time on my part than an actual inability to complete the repair (she will be completed this spring), but my habit was to drive top-down any time the weather was dry and it was above 45 degrees F. I may be bundled up with the heater on, but the top was down, damnit.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
In the early days the wave was to all sports cars coming your way.
That's when they were daily drivers.
I bought the 1954 MGTC 1250 in 1962 and then sold that and bought the 101 Spider in 1965.
It was almost mandatory to acknowledge the other sports car.
Very cool was just to raise your first two fingers of your left hand from the ten o'clock position on the steering wheel.
One always felt superior in the 101 and 105 Alfas, even relative to Jaguars. And definitely to Porsche 356s.
The latter were inferior in the wet and what's more--would bend their push rods at 5800.
Push rods!!!
Corvettes, being "Detroit Iron" were not acknowledged.
Of course you had string-back driving gloves on.
Sigh,
:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
In the early days the wave was to all sports cars coming your way.
That's when they were daily drivers.
I bought the 1954 MGTC 1250 in 1962 and then sold that and bought the 101 Spider in 1965.
It was almost mandatory to acknowledge the other sports car.
Very cool was just to raise your first two fingers of your left hand from the ten o'clock position on the steering wheel.
One always felt superior in the 101 and 105 Alfas, even relative to Jaguars. And definitely to Porsche 356s.
The latter were inferior in the wet and what's more--would bend their push rods at 5800.
Push rods!!!
Corvettes, being "Detroit Iron" were not acknowledged.
Of course you had string-back driving gloves on.
Sigh,
:)
You can hate on push rods all you want, but GM has done some pretty impressive things with push rod engines over the years. People have made push rod LS engines capable of 8,000+ RPM. They also have a tremendous packaging advantage compared to overhead cams despite their other inherent weaknesses.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A Rules of Etiquette for Alfas list

You know if we can come up with a few more "rules" it probably could get printed in Alfa Owner They are always looking for filler articles.
So come on folks lets make up some more "rules".
  1. We all seem to wave and/or flash the headlights.
  2. Remember to say please and thank you.
  3. When the top is down the windows are down.
  4. Pass the history of Alfa Romeo on to others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts