·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
640 Posts
:eek::eek:==V==:eek::eek:

I prefer the slightly worn, vintage look. By the way, anyone got a giulietta tool kit for sale that has a slightly worn, vintage look? I will trade my slightly worn, vintage look late 60's giulia tool kit + $. :)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I expect that when he had them chrome plated forty-some years ago, it was kind of a cool way to set apart his then run-of-the-mill Giulietta. I'm not sure that the word patina existed in automotive circles back then. Not to our current taste but obviously someone that loved his car. I'll cut him some slack. :p

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expect that when he had them chrome plated forty-some years ago, it was kind of a cool way to set apart his then run-of-the-mill Giulietta.
I agree with that. Forty-some years ago these things just didn't have the same value. I can recall ruining many things when I was young - "customizing" them. For example, I had a 1965 MGB that I bought new while in the service and when it was 2 years old I decided to turn that beautiful wrinkle finish dash into a padded vinyl custom. The things we did. :eek:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Chrome tools

Hi
There is some precedent for chroming these tools. The 2600 style set that came with our Type 33 Stradale were chromed, but not highly polished. I think that I've seen another chromed 2600 set, as well.
KG

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yes, the Touring 2 liter and 2600 tool kits did include "lightly" chromed double-ended wrenches along with other sundry bits in a thin plywood box with leatherette covering on the exterior and Grandmother's wall-paper as an interior lining. With a little time and trunk leaks ... these boxes dissolved into mushroom farms with rusty accessories ...

These have been pictured in this THREAD.

The kit referred to in this post copies the general size and look of the Touring kits but without all the additional items.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is a matter of choice, but sending them back to the platers for stripping is also an option. An expensive one, but still an option.

John

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think they look nice, and they won't rust. I would hardly call them ruined. ___It is a matter of choice, but sending them back to the platers for stripping is also an option. An expensive one, but still an option. John___
Actually they still can rust and it's not expensive to strip the chrome off; the cost is in having them chromed. Also, I bet there will be a large difference in price between the chrome set and the original set on eBay. You are right it is a matter of choice. The thing is, the only real reason to have an original tool set is for show at a Concours, and in a Concours if it's in a box, chromed, and painted, it's no longer correct. If you just want "garage art" then fine. I have a correct, original set in my Giulietta for show, but I also have a real set that I actually use. Not to say you can't use the original set, but it is somewhat limited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts