Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a stupid question: My '66 Duetto interior finish needs to be replaced. It is currently the black rug material (no doubt old and, at this point, very ratty looking with wear and holes in various spots). It also is coming off the edge of the interior where it meets the bottom of the convertible frame. My question is, when I go to replace this abomination, should I buy a replacement kit that is made of black rug material or do I go with the black rubber mat material? Which is more period correct? The September 1966 Car and Driver article reviewing the Duetto raved about how handy the rubber mats were because they were easier to clean when you dropped your cigarette ashes on them...classic.
Thanks for any and all insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
You should have the rubber matts to be original.
I find that a carpet matt over the rubber works well and is easy to pull out and clean.
Look into getting your matts from someone like OKParts in Germany. Even with the shipping, they will cost less than buying the full set thru a US vendor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
No matter how hard you try, you'll probably leave your baby out in the rain with the top down at some point. Now, what was that question again :) ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stevew,
Heh, heh, I hear you loud and clear, brother. Thanks and thanks 101/105 Guy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Go with rubber. Although my Spider, an '83, has carpeting, I want to put in Italian style ribbed rubber matting. I just find it more practical, at least out here in dusty, muddy New Mexico!

·
Registered
330 Posts
You should have the rubber matts to be original.
I find that a carpet matt over the rubber works well and is easy to pull out and clean.
Look into getting your matts from someone like OKParts in Germany. Even with the shipping, they will cost less than buying the full set thru a US vendor.
I think so too. There was carpet on the transmission tunnel and rubber mats on the floor, behind the seats on the ledge and the door sill areas. That would be correct, but carpet floor mats over the rubber ones are the way I leave it unless the car is to be judged. It's much more comfortable with carpeted mats and I like the look.

Chuck

·
Registered
819 Posts
Rubber + carpeted mats 👍

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I just did my Duetto's interior. I replaced the ratty old carpet with repro original mats and center carpet. I did the parcel shelf with the vinyl drapes.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My $0.02 Rubber, with mats if you insist. I too worry about ashes. Darn passengers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts