Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have to do every time I wash my Junior to prevent water from entering inside.
It does't happen when it's raining.

My seals seem to be soft and fresh and they seem to be touching the surfaces pretty well. (At least as much as I can see).
Is this normal, at least up to a point or...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Fruity- I hope not! Are you pressure washing? Do you know where it's leaking from ? There has to be a poor seal somewhere. Have someone brave sit in the car while you hit it with water from different angles to locate the leak.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only happens when I am using a water hose but I do it more like a shower and not by pressure in a certain place.
I find water on the floors mainly.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
A cracked window cowl drainhose maybe? (or worse, a rusted pipe)

That way the water comes in from under the dashboard..
Do you find the water in the footwells, or mainly on the sides next to the doors/rockers?

If it's found mainly around the pedals (so to say) my bet would be the hose that runs from under the dashboard through the firewall and ends next to the steering Idler (LHDcars)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cracked window cowl drainhose maybe? (or worse, a rusted pipe)

That way the water comes in from under the dashboard..
Do you find the water in the footwells, or mainly on the sides next to the doors/rockers?

If it's found mainly around the pedals (so to say) my bet would be the hose that runs from under the dashboard through the firewall and ends next to the steering Idler (LHDcars)
Sorry for that,I should be more clear.
Water does not enter from the windshield rubbers.
I just put some paper tape there as well to stop water from entering under the seals.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Hi Stephanos,

I actually meant from this area. Not the window seals.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry now I get it.
I don't think it comes in from there.
Water would get in even with rain in this case.
(And I happened to drive during heavy rain a couple of times...)
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
If you drove through heavy rain and it was dry, but you get water in from washing it like using a shower (or as rain as one might say), then I honestly have no idea...

But where does the water accumulate? That might help..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only sure thing is that if I use paper tape, no water is coming in.
If not then the insulation material under the rubber mats is wet mainly at the sides of the front seats....

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Then try as Pancho suggested....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Have you checked the drain holes at the bottom of the doors? If they are clogged, the water accumulates at the bottom of the doors and eventually run over and into the cabin. It will rust the door skins and bottoms eventually
If water comes in along the windows, you could see water on the insite of windows and door claddings.
Erik

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It sounds like your doors themselves are out of adjustment which is causing them to not close well enough to keep out the water. The door hinges and striker plates are adjustable for just that reason. It requires a little time, effort, and skill to adjust the doors properly so I'd recommend taking your car to a restoration shop which should have the skill to make the adjustment. Believe me, once done you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clogged :confused: Your suggestion made me anxious! I have to check that...

I have recently adjusted the doors and it is amazing how they close now.
It is like being in another car, a lot smoother.
I haven't washed it since though.
I try to avoid water as much as I can :rolleyes:
Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

·
Registered
166 Posts
On my car the interior always gets wet when i wash it with a hose, even if I do it very carefully. There is s small gap between the windows and the rubber door seal and the water drips onto the floors.

I assumed that they were always like this, I just leave it to dry after cleaning.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't think the GTs ever were 100% water tight.
When washing my Spider (know its a diffenent matter) I never hose the door windows, simple washing them with the brush.
When ever it in heavy rain the floor maths gets wet, have checked every thing (I could think of) including the drains for the top.
Erik

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Another common source of leaking is the plastic sheet between the door and the upholstered door card. If you're carpets are getting wet that's a likely source. If the plastic sheet is intact the easiest solution is to seal the edges with duct tape.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also believe that the doors not having frames around the windows cannot be 100% water tight.
So it could depend on how much water is getting in to find out if it is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Water always gets through my windows when I wash the car. There's a gap between the top of the doors and the rubber seal, and also the front edge of the quarter windows does not align properly with the seal.

Ill-fitting doors is one of the biggest issues with 105 coupes. And many cars are fitted with aftermarket door rubbers that are not as good as originals. My doors have been aligned as best as we could, but they will never fit properly unless I have the body restored.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts