Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some rubber mats. This is step 1 in cleaning up the interior.

I have a question about what is 'supposed' to go behind the seats? The rubber mat sets don;t have mats for the area behind the seats. The previous owner of this car apparently fashioned a carpet covered board, and then 'draped' the area under the top with carpet.

So what SHOULD go there? What was there in 10/74?

I've attached pics.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rubber kit includes everything up to where the carpet ends, but does not include the 'draped' carpet against the backside of the trunk bulkhead, with the pink question marks. It doesn't seem like this area should be without some type of covering.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A black vinyl overlay goes on the shelf behind the seats. It's got a few embossed decorative ribs. I'd give Denoya Trading a call and see if they have it from the car they got the rubber mats from.

Have you pealed that carpet up to see what the sheet metal look like below it?? Make sure you have a couple of beers before you do that.

Looks like a beautiful example of a '74. Was silver offered as an original color on 74s? The light brown stuff in the ****pit has gotta go, though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roadtrip said:
Have you pealed that carpet up to see what the sheet metal look like below it?? Make sure you have a couple of beers before you do that.
It should be OK. I anticiapte small spots of surface rust. The PO sanded all rust and put rustoleum on it in '98. That's when he put that carpet set in.

****. Where the hell does one find that ribbed piece of vinyl (I'll call the guy I won it from on Ebay), but what's the durn thing called?

Alfapaulic - thanks for the pic. Was that pic taken with the top removed? I'm just comparing our 2 cars, and my top looks awful low.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadtrip said:
Looks like a beautiful example of a '74. Was silver offered as an original color on 74s? The light brown stuff in the ****pit has gotta go, though.
Thanks - I like it. Yes, the original color was Silver. Was Silver, then black, and then the Previous Owner painted it Silver again in 1998. I'd give the Paint job a B. Removed most components, it would be a b+ or a- paint if not for some wierd effect the lead seams on the front of the car had on the paint.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The 74s are identicle to Alfapaulic's pix. I'll bet Denoya has it, but if not, try APE or a couple of other dismantlers. If nothing there either, I may have another idea for a source.

Your top boot looks in really nice shape. I'll be some of that vinyl spray in black would really look good. If you get a new boot, DON'T get it from Caribou, even if the price looks enticing. Their boot is made of lightweight vinyl and looks bad on the car. I sent it back to them, but never got a refund, nor would they answer email, phones, or fax's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roadtrip said:
The 74s are identicle to Alfapaulic's pix. I'll bet Denoya has it, but if not, try APE or a couple of other dismantlers. If nothing there either, I may have another idea for a source.
I checked the auction, and the 2 side vinyl pieces for the back are included, but not the ribbed vinyl drape. I'm betting it's no good.

Who is APE? More importantly, how would I contact them?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
There are lots of sources for the "drape".

For a complete listing of all kinds of sources, go to www.alfacentro.com and look under "resources" and then "alfa parts suppliers". I know that AR Ricambi, Centerline and Re-Originals all carry full interior sets including the drape. The harder part is finding an original one. The originals all shrank, so eventually, they wouldn't snap at the bottom and would let water in underneath.

Mine has the original rubber/ vinyl drape, but it has shrunk...I'm thinking of replacing it with carpeting.

Ciao,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. Re-originals has it, and their high on everything so $190 should be top.

It's called 'the rear drape'.

U0025B Rear drape, correct heat stitched center portion with unstitched end portions, 3 piece set, original heavy vinyl, original grain. $190.00 per car

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
This reminded me of the rubber mats I had in my '74 Spider. I had the car stored in a rented garage. It seems that I dropped a few sunflower seeds between the seats. A rat got into the garage, ate the seeds and then proceeded to eat the rubber mats. He ate the entire mat under the seats!

Anyone else try them? Perhaps the mats are tasty.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like I'll need some snaps and what not - buttons or something.

This might not be as easy as I'd thought.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Yes, the rear drape is held onto the bottom sill with snaps. If you contact Matt as Re-Originals, he has the snaps too. They aren't that hard to put in, but it will require a drill (unless you can find the original holes).

Matt is away at the convention this weekend, but he's a really helpful guy and his parts are the best (that's why they are so expensive).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Oh, one more thing! The top of the drape goes in under the convertible top. That means that if you want it installed correctly, you're going to have to undo the pieces that hold the back of your top in place and tuck the top of the rear drape in there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. It might be wise to spend a few extra bucks getting the drape from re-originals to take advantage of whatever 'support' they may offer.

This is going to be a nice little project.

What's a good thing to clean old rubber mats with?

And - what's a good sound dampener to use under rubber mats? The reconstituted foamy stuff seems too thick.

I'm stoked.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
If you were going to try and remain "originale", you should use the 'jute' backing (I think Re-Originals sells that too). But, if you just want something that works and is good, I would first scrub all the metal with a wire brush to get off the loose stuff, and then paint it all with POR-15 (a rust inhibitor paint that seals the metal). After that, I would buy some dynamat (available at auto-sound stores and pep-boys). Stick the dynamat to the painted metal and presto! You have a thin, good insulation that works well.

Now, this isn't all going to really easy (or cheap), but it will work!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I just cleaned mine with a good stiff bristle brush and Formula 409 or some other cleaner. "Black Chrome" or Armourall will bring the nice shiny black finish back.

I've got the same problem with some rust on the floor. I plan on a through cleaning and POR-15 over it. Dynamat is good stuff, but pretty darn expensive. Consider going up to any junkyard and pulling the insulation from a Caddie and place it behind the vertical areas. Probably be pretty cheap. For under the floor mats, I' thinking about putting some very thick (approx 1/2")composite rubber floor mats that I saw at a home center store. They cut easily and the best part is they don't absorb water, they can be easily pulled up to dry a wet floor out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts